Hemi/Vette new rear end.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemi/Vette new rear end.

Well I'm going the route of changing the rear end ratio vs putting more horsepower in the engine. Next week will change to a 3.73 rear vs the current 3.22. That should give the stock 300hp a little more grunt. Then the next question is will I be unhappy with the rpm the engine is running. If so I'm looking at that TREMEC 5 spd. If it's not one thing it's another, but why else do we have these cars.

I've got a TKO 500 (.68 final drive) 5-speed in Earl........3.73 rear. I've also just installed the TKO 600 (.64 final drive) 5-speed in the wagon.......3.42 rear. Both are high enough at cruise, but low enough to make smoke. For your application, the TKO 600 will probably be the best choice. Talk with American Powertrain about it...... They have a speed analyzer on their website too, so you can see the outcome.
    Calculate your cruising or top end speed and RPM based on rear gear ratio and tire size with a TREMEC manual overdrive transmission

Whichever way you go, you'll probably like it.
    Last edited by oletrux4evr; February 28, 2020, 08:44 PM.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

we are going from a 4:11 in the camaro, everyone seems to want 3.50 gears as the best combo street and highway, we went with 3:70, dont want to change the personality of the car too far. He mostly drives in stop and go traffic, so moving to the Tremec T5 should help him not have to be at 1800 to go 30 so we stayed closer to the 4:11.

Its more based on what you are using the car for. If its alot of highway then you will be putting alot more of those dollars in at the pump.

Just my idiot thinking adding my 2 cents. I am sure he will grow tired of shifting into 5th between stop lights.

Comment

I have the TKO 600 5 speed behind a 454 and love it. 5th gear at 70MPH with Eaton 3:73 posi about 1900 rpm. you will be pleased with it. Got mine from American Powertrain.
        PT 2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2014-2015
        1970 EL CAMINO

Comment

Originally posted by BLUE STREAK View Post
          I have the TKO 600 5 speed behind a 454 and love it. 5th gear at 70MPH with Eaton 3:73 posi about 1900 rpm. you will be pleased with it. Got mine from American Powertrain.
          You guys are so lucky - I be constantly changing plugs if I cruised my junk at 1900 rpm!

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

You guys are so lucky - I be constantly changing plugs if I cruised my junk at 1900 rpm!
            it's a problem that can be solved fairly easily....
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Well looking forward to the TREMEC. Talked to them today and they putting together a panel at their site to figure out the bell housing and clutch they can use behind this big Hemi.

Now my next question. Does anyone know where I can sell the Chrysler 833 trans?? I listed it for sale on this site but no bites yet. Thanks

Comment

Going rear gears and Tremec?

Comment

Originally posted by kolsen911 View Post
                  Well looking forward to the TREMEC. Talked to them today and they putting together a panel at their site to figure out the bell housing and clutch they can use behind this big Hemi.

Now my next question. Does anyone know where I can sell the Chrysler 833 trans?? I listed it for sale on this site but no bites yet. Thanks
                  I buy from ebay, craigslist, letgo, some more obscure stuff can be found on racing junk.

Comment

for the cost tyhat swapping gears AND the trans conversion
                    will run you, id do a cam (the right one will add 40-100+hp
                    with the correct 'supporting actors'....) and top end rollers/
                    intake/2 carbs etc for less $$$ and better bang for the buck.

just me though........

Comment

Zinc, motor was an old drag motor, I believe..

Comment

Originally posted by kolsen911 View Post
                        That should give the stock 300hp a little more grunt. .

ah, i thought it was stock & 300hp or so... my bad.

Comment

Guess my bad..

Comment

Zinc, Look at CHRYSLER STARTERS started by him..

Comment

Update:

On the dyno the engine appears to be a stock1957 with 325hp and 430 ft/lbs. It has dual Carter AFB's. Now she should be coming out of the shop with the TKO 600 TREMEC with the .68 5th gear, new clutch, modified bell housing and clutch lever to fit, new high torque starter and new driveshaft in the mail this week. I had some slightly heavier 1" lower front coils in the garage so they're putting them in with 1 deg neg camber as well. I'm going to drive it for a bit and then put the 3.73 rearend in as well. Sun is out so I'm ready to do some top down driving.

Comment

Working...
                              X