No announcement yet.

Hemi/Vette new rear end.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: Now have the TREMEC 5 spd installed. Great product, I like the close ratio 4 speeds and then the 5th overdrive. I found a problem with the throttle linkage. I've rebuilt the Carter AFB's and fussed with the accelerator pumps but for some reason I never checked for full throttle. Well the other day I did the old broom trick on the gas pedal and wow, now I have real dual 4 barrels. Will put it back on the dyno next month just out of curiosity. I betting another 20 HP.

Comment

Update: The hi-torque starter is sweet. Really turns this old Hemi over with ease. The front coil springs in the car were in fact the heavy springs for the Vette big block so the shop just heated them a little to give me the 1" drop. The TREMEC is a sweet heart. Close ratio 1-4 and 5th gear that gives me 70 mph at 2000 rpm. This old Hemi with 430 ft/lbs of torque at 2500 rpm loves it.

Once I got her home I found out, with my broom on the gas pedal trick, that I wasn't getting full throttle. I messed with that and now she really pulls, guessing 20 more HP. That means I may keep the 3:73 rear in the box for awhile

Comment

Originally posted by kolsen911 View Post
        The front coil springs in the car were in fact the heavy springs for the Vette big block so the shop just heated them a little to give me the 1" drop.

that is an ABSOLUTE no-no...... so unsafe.
        hope youre never driving next to me, dont
        wanna be there when the coils fail.

what shop did that? report em to the BBB for
        unsafe practices.

Comment

or contact SuperBuickGuy for advice....
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

its old school, hurts handling a little, but if the shop did it without burning that glass car to the ground, they seem to have known what they were doing.

Sounds like the same trans and rear end combo we will be running. This Covid stopped cash flow enough to decide on replacing quarters and fixing all the gaps, removing a ton of bondo, hopefully we get to ride in it before the weather turns.

Comment

Apparently the guy in the shop has been doing this heating the coil for near 20 years. I've so far driven the car on a lot of twisties and some highway time as well a over the mountains to the coast yesterday with no issues I could feel.

Comment

Some guys cut coils with a torch, others use cut off wheels and yet others never let the spring get hot.. I have heard of a weld splatter ball rolling off a leaf made it crack.. But for me, I have bent leaves 90*, yet others break.. I think you will be fine with what you do..

Comment

Still have the 3.73 rear in a box. As I found the carb linkage wasn't letting me get full throttle I'm working on that before I decide if I really need it.

Comment

Well the old girl is running just fine. Put some more miles on her before the wx turned. Out to the coast to play golf. She runs great thru the twisties over the mountains. After I tinkered with the carbs some more I got the accelerator pump set right and now alls fine. With one exception. Cant' believe I didn't see this before, guess it's my age, 77. The rear has been modified with 4-link and coil-overs. The clunk I've been looking for wasn't the shock bottoming out but the differential carrier hitting the floor. Gees. So this week I cut out a piece of the floor over the differential and fabbed in a higher bump to give it some more room to move. Won't be able to test drive it for awhile as it's the rainy season.

Comment

it's Oregon, is there a season that isn't rainy?
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Well the old girl is running just fine. Put some more miles on her before the wx turned. Out to the coast to play golf. She runs great thru the twisties over the mountains. After I tinkered with the carbs some more I got the accelerator pump set right and now alls fine. With one exception. Cant' believe I didn't see this before, guess it's my age, 77. The rear has been modified with 4-link and coil-overs. The clunk I've been looking for wasn't the shock bottoming out but the differential carrier hitting the floor. Gees. So this week I cut out a piece of the floor over the differential and fabbed in a higher bump to give it some more room to move. Won't be able to test drive it for awhile as it's the rainy season.
                        Thats awesome. WE have not been able to test out our junk yet due to this turning into another restoration after finding alot more rust.

This is one thing I wont forget, driving behind the camaro and not seeing the car going up and down with bumps, but the suspension going up higher under the car. Just does not seem to operate that way since I always figured the car was supposed to be bouncing on the axles.

Comment

So more messing with the old Hemi/Vette. I discovered he universal joint at the rearend is also kissing the belly over some bumps. The drive shaft is not level but rises as it comes back. Sooo I was wondering, with the four link setup can I lengthen the lower link to lower the point where the drive shaft connects to the rear pumpkin???

Comment

yes but I'm more concerned about the uneven length of your bars. If you keep the bars the same length (top/bottom) the pinion will maintain the same angle throughout its travel.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

So more messing with the old Hemi/Vette. I discovered he universal joint at the rearend is also kissing the belly over some bumps. The drive shaft is not level but rises as it comes back. Sooo I was wondering, with the four link setup can I lengthen the lower link to lower the point where the drive shaft connects to the rear pumpkin???
                              if the suspension is working, I'd be more inclined to modify the floorpan rather than mess with the mechanicals....
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Good point guys, thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X