STP Oil Treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STP Oil Treatment

Ever since I was a teen my pops taught me to add a bottle of STP oil treatment with every oil change. Been doing it ever since (40+ years) even though with modern oils its probably not needed. Anyway, I was changing the oil in my Silverado last week and while adding the STP product I noticed some "particulates" in the product as I was pouring it in. So I stopped and filtered the rest. I found the particulates were fibrous, gasket-like materials. (no it was not from the lid or contamination that fell into it after I opened it) One piece was as big as my pinky nail! I quickly called the "customer feedback number on the bottle. It was a useless recording of additional sales offers! My temper now further elevated I went to the webite, left a written message and another voice message on yet another un-tended phone line. They have not replied by email or called me back! I simply will not do business with STP again. Anybody have other recommendations for a good oil additive?
    ed

Originally posted by ecorl View Post
    Anybody have other recommendations for a good oil additive?
    ed
    I use Seafoam & Marvel Mystery Oil.

Seafoam works best as a fuel system cleaner in my opinion, but it does a good job in the crankcase too.

Marvel is great for older vehicles, I've freed up sticky lifters and cleaned up dirty engines with it.

I don't use oil treatments every oil change, I try to buy good oil and filters and let them do the work.

Comment

Ed,
      I winterize with Seafoam my vehicles,
      use Marvel Mystery Oil in my Antique tractors, both in the crankcase and fuel like tardis said to keep the upper end HAPPY,
      AND it's a warranty thing on my Russian sidecar motorcycle, Hyperlube, is added to all oils, engine, trans, rear drive. (It's a old bike, but rebuilt)

Comment

I've never used any oil additives, and my engines work fine, and last a long time.

Did you notice the owners manual never recommends adding additives to oil? probably because they are not needed?

But advertising is effective...because people are gullible.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Gullible, I guess, but after they stopped adding the zinc and molybdate in the oils and told people to change their oil every 3000 miles, you wonder who the gullible ones are.

Comment

uh....you change it every 8k miles on modern cars. And they last 300k miles.

Go ahead and support STP, they had neat looking stickers 50 years ago, I really liked them as an 8 year old kid.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Had a very high mileage 66 caddy that I derbied, added a gallon of Power Punch because it rattled pretty bad, after the qualifying heat the Power Punch was dripping like water... Our good derby motors get zinc oils..

Comment

Never used additives, engines always run a long time .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

If you must use additives, buy Lucas stuff because they actually support racers and racing events.
                  Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

We are all in agreement. Its probably not necessary. I don't see myself as gullible, just overly protective of my stuff. Spending a few extra bucks for something that might make a difference (especially for a high mileage motor is worth it to me.) I got 330,000 miles out of my old Malibu classic before the body rusted out but that doesnt mean in was due to STP in any way. Again, when I first started changing my own oil in the late 70's maybe it actually did something...now not so much. I use full synthetic valvoline in my daily drivers and royal purple in my prostreet nova. I do like Lucas stuff so maybe Ill use that now.
                    ed

Comment

I don't see myself as gullible, just overly protective of my stuff. Spending a few extra bucks for something that might make a difference
                      See, you're gullible, you've accepted the unsupported idea that spending more money will somehow protect your stuff. They have you right where they want you.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                        uh....you change it every 8k miles on modern cars. And they last 300k miles.

Go ahead and support STP, they had neat looking stickers 50 years ago, I really liked them as an 8 year old kid.
                        Have you used 0-20 oil in a modern car? Goes in like water, it was 3K to maintain the warranty from Subaru, so I guess gullible for a 30.00 mobil 1 oil change is smarter than not having proof and paying 3 grand for a repair.

Comment

Oh, I meant normal cars, not Subarus. Sorry.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

We are all in agreement. Its probably not necessary. I don't see myself as gullible, just overly protective of my stuff. Spending a few extra bucks for something that might make a difference (especially for a high mileage motor is worth it to me.) I got 330,000 miles out of my old Malibu classic before the body rusted out but that doesnt mean in was due to STP in any way. Again, when I first started changing my own oil in the late 70's maybe it actually did something...now not so much. I use full synthetic valvoline in my daily drivers and royal purple in my prostreet nova. I do like Lucas stuff so maybe Ill use that now.
                            ed
                            Necessary. That's a fun word. Almost as much fun as Just.

8k between oil changes... that's some interesting advice.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I normally only put snake oil in after it starts having problems. Lucas is my favorite snake oil. I put a bottle of the ATF fix in my T5 it really improves the shifts on a transmission that should be rebuilt. The Lucas gear may have made the wine in the rear a tad better but it's still noticable. I have put the motor honey in one to try to keep the ticking down.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X