STP Oil Treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
    Just one last thing to remember . New cars have thin oil because todays engine have much tighter clearances do to better machinery used to make the parts . I'm not thickening mine up . I am staying with my mobil one though .
    I used to buy Havoline and Valvoline - but I'm with you, Mobil One since GM made it standard.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
      Just one last thing to remember . New cars have thin oil because todays engine have much tighter clearances do to better machinery used to make the parts . I'm not thickening mine up . I am staying with my mobil one though .
      thin oil is MPG nothing more.

Comment

If the dealer services the vehicle for life, they can make about ten times as much money off you from service, as they did from selling you the vehicle. It's win-win for them to have you service it more than is recommended by the manufacturer.

case in point....I have 30k of receipts for dealer service and repairs for the 99 Buick that we got from my father in law, who faithfully took it in for service at the dealer every 3 months. He paid 26k to buy the car.

I really don't care how you spend your money, it's not my business. I just like to point out BS every now and then, and the "lubrication business" is full of it.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          If the dealer services the vehicle for life, they can make about ten times as much money off you from service, as they did from selling you the vehicle. It's win-win for them to have you service it more than is recommended by the manufacturer.

case in point....I have 30k of receipts for dealer service and repairs for the 99 Buick that we got from my father in law, who faithfully took it in for service at the dealer every 3 months. He paid 26k to buy the car.

I really don't care how you spend your money, it's not my business. I just like to point out BS every now and then, and the "lubrication business" is full of it.
          Think you missed, where the oil changes are free. Why would a dealership, foot the cost of extra oil changes, if they thought they could slide by with the "g.m." software oil change meter time tables?
          Guess they think, a few extra oil changes and the cost of them is cheaper than having to replace or repair the engine on their dime.

Comment

Oh, I think we're not getting the whole "fine print" story here....do we know how long he gets free oil changes? and what the stipulations are about other service, that is not free? The Buick oil changes themselves were not that expensive, but the additional work they found to do on the car was outrageous. The best part is that they had FIL pay (twice) to replace the oil pan drain plug, that they damaged when they changed the oil.

The 2012 truck my wife bought with 100k on the clock had 3k dealership service, we got about half of the receipts for that from the PO. One of the first things I had to do was replace the drain plug, as it was stretched. And fix the air cleaner housing, because the threads were stripped. The other Chevy trucks she bought new never needed an air filter replacement, and the engines lasted just fine with oil changes when the light came on.

But like I said, if that's how you like to spend your money, it's fine with me.

I do change the oil in Plan II every 2k miles, and Almost Funny hasn't gone more than about 300 miles without an oil change. And somehow, my engines don't blow up. Strange.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

^^^^ The new trucks your wife bought never needed an air filter replaced.
              Come on.

Comment

It's on the internet.....
                it's gotta be TRUE !!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

erases first 5 comments as a bit too confrontational (monster will be so proud)

The 'service' for a 2018 Colorado - the only one - is the timing belt change every 100,000 miles.... I replaced the air filter with a K&N (which is fine by them), they change the oil FOR FREE (oh yeah, but they'll make it up on volume), they don't warranty the tires, or the wipers.... oh and the transmission doesn't ever get serviced.... so wondering what math you're using.... because frankly I'll cough up $1700 (est. for the timing belt change) every 8 years as money well spent. Reminder, GM doesn't recommend a transmission service... ever. No dipstick either. So please, let me know how a free transmission for life, free oil changes and only one, required service is such a cash cow for the dealership. Granted, it takes about 3 hours to get the free service done, so there is that, but since the invention of computers and WiFi, I can bill people while sitting waiting. I have every intention of being able to tell you how long a MiniD lasts... so perhaps you can point and say "ah HA" later... but for now, your pointing finger has 4 "ah ha" pointing back at you.

I get a great deal of humor out of all or nothing people. The only definitive there is on this planet is there are no definites.
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 9, 2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Im almost sorry i started this thread but the dialog is entertaining none the less. Im actually a research chemist by trade so I could easily say adding anything without empirical evidence that its worth the investment may not be wise. Statistically, there is only a 1.3% chance of dying in an automobile accident and 45% could be reduced by wearing a seatbelt. So, is it just hype to wear a seatbelt when the odds are against needing it? Im not sure what the statistics are on whether an additive shows a positive correlation in valve train life but we all waste our money on lesser things. All I know is, I will not use STP! Let the diatribe continue fellow bang shifters.

Comment

Originally posted by ecorl View Post
                      Im almost sorry i started this thread but the dialog is entertaining none the less. Im actually a research chemist by trade so I could easily say adding anything without empirical evidence that its worth the investment may not be wise. Statistically, there is only a 1.3% chance of dying in an automobile accident and 45% could be reduced by wearing a seatbelt. So, is it just hype to wear a seatbelt when the odds are against needing it? Im not sure what the statistics are on whether an additive shows a positive correlation in valve train life but we all waste our money on lesser things. All I know is, I will not use STP! Let the diatribe continue fellow bang shifters.
                      there is a group that are like old, married couples.... we can predict what each will say.... stick around, you'll find yourself as one of them... of course, of all the opinions, mine is the only one that doesn't stink...

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

there is a group that are like old, married couples.... we can predict what each will say.... stick around, you'll find yourself as one of them... of course, of all the opinions, mine is the only one that doesn't stink...
                        So Ya think your Loon Shit Don't Stink, eh?
                        Hate ta Tell Ya.....Your Farts are Giving it AWAY!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

erases first 5 comments as a bit too confrontational (monster will be so proud)

The 'service' for a 2018 Colorado - the only one - is the timing belt change every 100,000 miles.... I replaced the air filter with a K&N (which is fine by them), they change the oil FOR FREE (oh yeah, but they'll make it up on volume), they don't warranty the tires, or the wipers.... oh and the transmission doesn't ever get serviced.... so wondering what math you're using.... because frankly I'll cough up $1700 (est. for the timing belt change) every 8 years as money well spent. Reminder, GM doesn't recommend a transmission service... ever. No dipstick either. So please, let me know how a free transmission for life, free oil changes and only one, required service is such a cash cow for the dealership. Granted, it takes about 3 hours to get the free service done, so there is that, but since the invention of computers and WiFi, I can bill people while sitting waiting. I have every intention of being able to tell you how long a MiniD lasts... so perhaps you can point and say "ah HA" later... but for now, your pointing finger has 4 "ah ha" pointing back at you.

I get a great deal of humor out of all or nothing people. The only definitive there is on this planet is there are no definites.
                          My only experience was with my dads love for subarus. When he bought his first one it was 15k 35k 50k 65k 75k recommended service intervals to keep the warranty (along with paying for oil changes at the dealer) so they could sell more repairs that might or might not have been needed. He left it to me so its my daughters car. He could barely walk, let alone drive when his rich friend convinced him to spoil himself, he put 1600 miles on it in 2 years. Every month there was a mailer from the dealer, you missed your routine maintenance blah blah blah.

All I know for a fact was his last subaru hit 76ooo miles when the head started leaking and he paid 2300 for the job since motors need to come out since the heads were down by the suspension. So they have a long enough history of when to suggest service and when to do the preventive service. when the oil comes out at 3000 or so miles, its black, thin, smells funny. Maybe thats the mobil 1 and still might make it another 5ooo miles, but for 30 bucks, its just not worth it.

The only true vehicles I would not use additives in are the ones with the variable valve timing hydraulic cylinders that move the cams around. Fords are notorious for having trouble with those due to not frequent enough oil changes or using the wrong weight oil. So thickening up suggested oil is asking for trouble with those.

Comment

the only thing I know about Subarus are their water-soluble head gaskets.... there are different additives for those, and I've yet to see any of them help

Comment

Working...
                            X