No announcement yet.

Butt welds on patch panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 51 F7 hood is closer to reuniting with the brace with the newly repaired ends.. Epoxy primer will be under the brace this time around to help prevent the new side patches from rusting again..

Some blocking tips on the F7 hood. We have a nice crease on the inside of the hood from front to back. These scratches show that we would be taking material off the adjacent side if no other steps were taken to stop our sanding block at the center of the crease...

By adding a strip of tape along the center, it gives us a positive stop for the sanding block..

Then switching for the other side....

Which leaves us a nice crease in the middle, and panels nice and flat to either side...

Final blocking on the inside using tape to keep the center line sharp, then brace welded in place and some epoxy touch ups done..

With the touch ups blocked, we're ready for some Epoxy/sealer, some PPG ESSS base, and my first time spraying SPI Universal... WooHoo! love this clear!!

These Ford truck hoods can be a pain to get good paint coverage inside the nose.. So a couple pieces of TIG wire from our rack to the hood brackets hold it up in the air so we can get into the nose with the spray gun..

Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

How come the back side of your stuff looks better than the front side of my stuff?

Dan

Comment

Dan, it's all the practice pieces in the scrap pile!!

Thought I'd do a progression of pictures to show the carnage we started with on the hood brace to where it was painted this past weekend....

Note the wings left adjacent to the weld to act as heat sinks and prevent the edge from burning back...

No Body filler, just epoxy primer, basecoat, and clearcoat. Looks almost factory!!

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

Truly inspiring work!
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks!!!

So every time we place the hood on my folding stand, the hood skin deflects upward at those pressure points (corners). Which means that won't work for blocking out the hood. So lets' use the same supports that the hood uses and make a blocking "stand".

Large 5/8" bolt through the hood latch hole for supporting the nose...

And going through our scrap inventory, here's some tubing we used for the back end, bolted into the hinge support. The extra "feet" help to stabilize it so the sanding effort won't try and flop it over...

With that done, all our open holes are taped over and the entire bottom side masked off to protect the inside finish..

A bit of Evercoat 416 to address some lows, and 3 coats of SPI epoxy for the next round of blocking on the outside.

Blocking...

Some booth clean up and fresh masking on the table, hood pre-cleaned and tacked.....

Sealed with SPI Epoxy thinned about 10%

Fleet paint that was used originally on the truck, supplied by owner. Orange peel in a can..

2 coats of color, 2 coats of SPI Universal Clear...

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

There is a good chance you made the hood too nice and it will not match the rest of the truck. When are you starting on the other parts?

When Dad did the brick work for my new garage door on the shop I told him don't make it too nice, I want it to match the existing. He said it's called humoring.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

We may have to use some scotchbrite to tone it down a bit...
                Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

The MOPAR expert Galen Govier (SP?) said that he often got in arguments with customers who wanted a "100 point" restoration. So he'd give them back a muscle car MOPAR with an even orange peel and they'd complain that they wanted a mirror finish and why didn't he cut and buff the paint. He'd have to explain that any qualified judge would mark down a car without orange peel as that was NOT the way they left the factory. I suppose that's always a challenge: do you do your best work or do you match what the factory did?

BTW, this is not an issue for me. My best work is still only so-so.

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; September 19, 2020, 08:22 AM.

Comment

This past Friday night we cut and buffed the F7 hood to get rid of some dust nibs, and Saturday morning Jared and I started to reassemble the hood. The horn wiring had some dry and cracking insulation sleeving, so it was replaced as well.

John stopped by mid morning and we got all the parts put back together and adjusted. Looks much better with the hood back on, John has been driving without one for a couple months.

All ready for the Tri-state Antique Truck Show this week in Clear Brook VA..
                    Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

John got the truck loaded up today, ready for departing tomorrow for the show at the Frederick County Fairgrounds in Clear Brook, VA. I may have to take a ride on Friday and check out the show..

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

Best part of that beautiful job is it's out there being seen while it's being used! Thank you Robert, for the ride along on the work!
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                        X