Hydraulic pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic pumps

is it possible to run hydraulic rams off an automatic transmission's pump? it seems like this is such a stupid question that no one asks it... thankfully, after winning the square exhaust argument, I can ask stupid questions and proclaim victory....

If the answer is a qualified "yes, depends on how large" that would be a great answer if you followed with volume and pressures

What say you?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Automatic transmission pumps provide less pressure, but more volume, than typical hydraulic pumps. Of course the answer depends on what you're trying to do with the rams.

I think you can get somewhere around 300 psi from a transmission, and about ten times as much from a typical hydraulic pump

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

references:

My fabulous web page

Comment

Electric steering motor linked to driving a hyd pump . Put it anywhere and no real eye sore on engine

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          is it possible to run hydraulic rams off an automatic transmission's pump? it seems like this is such a stupid question that no one asks it... thankfully, after winning the square exhaust argument, I can ask stupid questions and proclaim victory....

If the answer is a qualified "yes, depends on how large" that would be a great answer if you followed with volume and pressures

What say you?
          im gonna go with "no"?... my reasoning (actually just a deduction) is....

i remember when tow trucks all came with a stick shift trans--AND a PTO
          to drive the lift/winches. when tow trucks started coming with automatics,
          the industry immediately went to stand alone electric over hydraulic systems
          for the lift and winches. gotta be a reason for that is my guess.

Comment

Maybe the invention of the electric hydraulic pump, let them finally get rid of the PTO, and allowed them to use automatics? Cause and effect are sometimes difficult to discern.

But we still don't have any idea what he wants to do with this.

My fabulous web page

Comment

My non related post:

I have a belt driven hydraulic pump on my plow truck. But it has a manual trans.

1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
              1997 Mustang GT
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X