5-spd. swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-spd. swap

so i want to put a 5-spd in the monte. what tranny do i use?

Re: 5-spd. swap

The third gen 5 speeds don't handle power very well from what I understand. iirc Spidey said in another thread that the truck 5 speeds are hard to find parts for.

Comment

Why not a six speed?.Or are they wery pricey?.

Comment

GO HERE. AND READ..

5 spd 6 spd
        you name it.. it's been done
        there are kits also

Comment

I'm in the middle of trying coming up with a plan to do a manual swap in my Monte. montecarloss.com is full of a lot of good (and a bit of bad) information. I decided to do a T56 because T5's and truck trannies are not as friendly to go-fasting. I'm trying to do it on the cheap; if I wasn't worried about that I'd do a TKO600.
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer
            I decided to do a T56 because T5's and truck trannies are not as friendly to go-fasting. I'm trying to do it on the cheap; if I wasn't worried about that I'd do a TKO600.
            how much can you pick up a T56 for?

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss
              I decided to do a T56 because T5's and truck trannies are not as friendly to go-fasting. I'm trying to do it on the cheap; if I wasn't worried about that I'd do a TKO600.
              how much can you pick up a T56 for?
              That was kinda my thought too.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Around $1000 seems to be the common range but there are deals like this one that comes along every once and a while.

Comment

Two things to consider with the T56. Do any of them have Mechanical Speedo gears? (or does your Monte use the VSS?) and I believe the T56 requires a lot more trans tunnel removal than the TKO series.

For $400 you can't beat the price.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

They're going for around $1000-1500 as a takeout from LT1 cars, complete with bell, clutch, master, slave, shifter, etc. Currently looking for best options to get a working clutch since I have a two-piece rear main seal motor. TKO's seem to command a bit more. I would actually prefer a TKO, but again I'm a tightwad.
                    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

6-7 grand for keisler 'kit' - seen lots of bitching about putting keisler 'kit' in g-a bodies
                      you want a stick ? most mustangs had em - the swap is tough
                      we swapped a 4 speed into a 79 malibu - the th250 kept popping from the torque of a 2 bbl caprice 400
                      used 71 chevelle pedals and linkage , a lot of cutting and bending , ended up being able to get the whole 78 malibu pedals and linkage from gm back then [1987] , then it worked good

Comment

They're going for around $1000-1500 as a takeout from LT1 cars, complete with bell, clutch, master, slave, shifter, etc. Currently looking for best options to get a working clutch since I have a two-piece rear main seal motor. TKO's seem to command a bit more. I would actually prefer a TKO, but again I'm a tightwad.
                        hot rod or car craft installed a t56 in a 1st gen f body..
                        and listed the flywheel for 2 piece cranks

Comment

so , a 4 speed would be cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                            so , a 4 speed would be cheaper
                            A saginaw three-speed would be cheaper yet. Mebbe I'll convert it to three on the tree right away. :D
                            Now that you mention cheap, I have a working powerglide I could put in the car for nothing. :P

Comment

call g force (717) 202-8367
                              they make an upgraded t5 that can handle some force

Comment

Working...
                              X