Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

common sense says don't talk about what you don't know. just sayin'

and all of what you just said has nothing to do with drying it (heck, that's the same advice they give for sanding).

given your penchant for jumping to conclusions. let's shut that down now... the second thing I looked (after "can I dry it") at was safety of what I was doing.
    It up to you if you want to put you or your wife in harms way. My response is not meant for your concrete head, its for others here so they don't follow the path of jumping off the bridge because you say its ok. According to your expertise, silicon particles just disappear in a microwave, a completely sealed unit so radiation does not escape.

Just think about it before you claim your expertise is smarter than OSHA regulations. I am in the metal finishing business, I know what is killing me. I am not going to add to it by following a stupid idea of using a microwave oven you use for food, in a pan you use for food. Why shouldn't we, you know everything.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post

It up to you if you want to put you or your wife in harms way. My response is not meant for your concrete head, its for others here so they don't follow the path of jumping off the bridge because you say its ok. According to your expertise, silicon particles just disappear in a microwave, a completely sealed unit so radiation does not escape.

Just think about it before you claim your expertise is smarter than OSHA regulations. I am in the metal finishing business, I know what is killing me. I am not going to add to it by following a stupid idea of using a microwave oven you use for food, in a pan you use for food. Why shouldn't we, you know everything.
      lol - so let me get this straight.... you work in the metal finishing industry... so you'd be one of my employees if you were in Portland. Good to know...

you funny guy, too bad you don't know how funny you are.
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 4, 2020, 10:44 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

common sense says don't talk about what you don't know. just sayin'

and all of what you just said has nothing to do with drying it (heck, that's the same advice they give for sanding).

given your penchant for jumping to conclusions. let's shut that down now... the second thing I looked (after "can I dry it") at was safety of what I was doing.
        I don't want to get into your back and forth. But my microwave has a bunch of holes in the interior walls, I'd guess to allow the "waves" into the cooking area, Now when you are drying this stuff, the moisture has to go everywhere, including through those holes.
        Now I have no idea if the moisture coming off that stuff carries tiny bits of it with it, coating the microwaves walls and parts on the other side of the cooking area. But it might. What happens to all that when you use the micro the next time fr food? Does whatever was left in the unit blown around the unit. You don't need a fan the food warming up and the room temp air will cause flow.
        Just a thought, Carry on.

Comment

to those who think this doesn't work or is going to kill you... please google first.

Thank you

Common Sense statements:

Man cannot fly
          Women cannot raise children and go to school (not enough bandwidth)
          Cocaine picks you up
          You don't need to be sick during pregnancy
          Botox will kill you
          I'm from the government, I'm here to help you

sense is rarely common and it's even worse when someone uses that as the basis of their argument. It's not any better when they rationalize, heck even Einstein said

God doesn't play dice. When he was confronted with Quantum Mechanics. If only he had lived long enough to see a smart phone....

Point is.... google before you talk. Thank you.
          except if you want me to mock you.... then shoot from the hip and put padding around your precious ego.

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 6, 2020, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Google going to pay your doctors bills.?
            Guess, "google" is the all knowing orb, And always 100% correct.
            Blind trust isn't common sense.
            carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
              Blind trust isn't common sense.
              carry on.
              But what part of common sense has me believing you over Google? I get you have questions, but by the same token - spending a bit of time in research keeps you from getting your ego hurt.

Comment

gotta google the right stuff.

Search Results

Silica poisoning

Featured snippet from the web

Acute silicosis occurs after a few months or as long as 2 years following exposures to extremely high concentrations of respirable crystalline silica. Symptoms of acute silicosis include severe disabling shortness of breath, weakness, and weight loss, which often leads to death.

I guess you can go save money getting some play sand from the home center to sandblast your next project while you are at it.

Most people get silicosis from a workplace where they inhale large amounts of silica dust. Learn more about the causes, risk factors, symptoms, treatments, and how to prevent this lung disease.

You can keep trying to convince this idiot, but for your families sake, please stop.

Comment

silicosis.....
                  google has not been your friend.

Comment

What I can't fathom is how microwaves make silica more dangerous???? Many, many substances are hazardous to the respiratory system, BUT you first must inhale them. SBG isn't advocating snorting desiccant.
                    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I'm just gonna leave this here... Common sense tells me not to try to snort sodium silicate while it rotates in momma's microwave oven. I bet that fixes the spread of novel coronavirus through attrition. Thank you Darwin.

One of the chemists here should tell me what I get with Water, Crystal cat litter, and lye drain cleaner although I am damn sure not putting that little compound into Mr. Microwave.Can you say Exothermic? I knew that you could.

Even in the backyard, I'd consider a fume hood. Let's not confuse Covid and sodium hydroxide irritation... /edit - in true BS fashion, I just derailed my own reply. Ooops. Back to the topic:

I'm surprised the indicator will change colors back when the moisture is gone. Interesting.

Last edited by Beagle; May 30, 2020, 06:47 AM. Reason: still edits everything
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                        I'm just gonna leave this here... Common sense tells me

Exothermic?
                        you've been watching too many The Simpsons. Water doesn't explode, not even when subject to radio waves.

as you all have trouble with Google.... here is what it is... all the microwave is doing is heating the water to vapor then removing that vapor via its fan.

What is silica gel and why do I find little packets of it in everything I buy?

Little packets of silica gel are found in all sorts of products because silica gel is a desiccant -- it adsorbs and holds water vapor. In leather products and foods like pepperoni, the lack of moisture can limit the growth of mold and reduce spoilage. In electronics it prevents condensation, which might damage the electronics. If a bottle of vitamins contained any moisture vapor and were cooled rapidly, the condensing moisture would ruin the pills. You will find little silica gel packets in anything that would be affected by excess moisture or condensation.

Silica gel is nearly harmless, which is why you find it in food products. Silica, or silicon dioxide (SiO2), is the same material found in quartz. The gel form contains millions of tiny pores that can adsorb and hold moisture. Silica gel is essentially porous sand.

Silica gel can adsorb about 40 percent of its weight in moisture and can take the relative humidity in a closed container down to about 40 percent. Once saturated, you can drive the moisture off and reuse silica gel by heating it above 300 degrees F (150 C).

SBG again

Common sense should tell you that if they put silica packets in with your jerky - odds are pretty darn good that it's not harmful for you. See, those government bobbins are pretty smart - they recognize that people do silly things; it's why the ink on your can of soda is edible. If something is harmful in the food supply, they won't allow it in the food supply.
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 4, 2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

I guess you can snort fine silica dust if you want to but I'm thinking Mesothelioma, so I won't be joining in. Here's what I was conjuring:

The crystal cat litter I picked up is silica gel. Some dust included. Bad for you. Bad for Kitty really.

The pure lye drain cleaner is Sodium hydroxide. Think Fight Club, chemical burns. Not snorting that junk either.

Combining those two dry compounds with water will result in sodium silicate (water glass) and a boiling bubbling bunch of goo if you're not careful when you mix it. Exothermic reaction. Again, I'm not even interested in the fumes, and keeping my snorter out of it. I'm thinking outside or fume hood.

Mix sodium siilcate, vermiculite or perlite, and refractory cement, and you have something suitable for forming shapes like a brick or a liner. It will tolerate relatively high heat for something like a forge, furnace, or kiln. Yep, I'm talking cast iron melting trash can furnace - I'll let you know how it works out.

Snorting cheap homemade fire bricks is not my thing either. I'll stick with air. PC Earth 2020 - Everyday everything every time Common sense PSA's are killing me. Life is tough, wear a cup.
                          Last edited by Beagle; June 5, 2020, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Dangit. Forum only lets me ninja edit once?

Let's talk about non-friable in this context. Silica gel is reportedly non-friable which means to me that any dust is a byproduct of manufacturing and present pre-consumer .. uh.. consumption. I'm sure there is a government standard percentage limit, like fingertips in hotdogs.

What I'm really trying to say is you can put a smooth metal object in the microwave and it won't spark.

Click image for larger version

Name:	knowing.png
Views:	94
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	1271498
                            Last edited by Beagle; June 5, 2020, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Beagle.... fetch

Comment

Can you tell I'm on Retirement v3.0? Found what I was looking for:

https://www.agmcontainer.com/blog/de...ng-silica-gel/

"... (Orange) silica gel appears orange/yellow in color when dry and green after the desiccant becomes saturated with moisture to about 15% by weight.

Orange Silica Gel is a non-toxic, pollution-free desiccant that will meet the needs of environmentally-conscious companies. This orange silica gel can be used in many applications where visual control of moisture is required, such as in compressed air dryers, breathers, and for protection of non‐consumable packaged goods, as well as drying and storing flowers and seeds. That said, Orange Silica Gel should not be used in direct contact with products that are intended for consumption, such as food and pharmaceuticals."

Translated: Don't eat the Orange Silica Gel. It's probably tang flavored though, like they put peppermint flavor in paste.

Blue Silica Gel can be used in many of the same applications as Orange Silica Gel; however, due to the addition of the moisture indicator (cobalt chloride), Blue Silica Gel should not be used in direct contact with products intended for consumption, such as food or pharmaceuticals.

More: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/com...hloride-_CoCl2

Cobalt chloride is a pink to red solid with a slight sharp odor. Sinks and mixes with water. Pale blue leaflets, turns pink upon exposure to moist air.

Hazard information: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/com...ullscreen=true

H302: Harmful if swallowed [Warning Acute toxicity, oral]

H317: May cause an allergic skin reaction [Warning Sensitization, Skin]

H334: May cause allergy or asthma symptoms or breathing difficulties if inhaled [Danger Sensitization, respiratory]

H341: Suspected of causing genetic defects [Warning Germ cell mutagenicity]

H350i: May cause cancer by inhalation [Danger Carcinogenicity]

H360F ***: May damage fertility [Danger Reproductive toxicity]

H400: Very toxic to aquatic life [Warning Hazardous to the aquatic environment, acute hazard]

H410: Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects [Warning Hazardous to the aquatic environment, long-term hazard]

Translated: This is some bad shit! Don't eat the Blue Silica Gel. Don't pour it down the drain either. No wonder the EU banned it.

Conclusion: Assuming we don't snort the dust, Silica gel by itself is not considered a hazardous material. The moisture indicator is the problem.

section 2.1

Airborne dust is another story altogether, hence the Non-Friable comments.
                                CDC says

Minimize exposures through effective engineering controls and work practices. (Don't snort it)

Last edited by Beagle; June 5, 2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X