X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody know...

where to find those tunnel ram carb spacers that have a "cone"
    that extends down into the plenum, so it drives better? cant seem
    to find them, apparently my google-fu sucks tonight... thanks!

search for "anti-reversion" carb spacers.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      search for "anti-reversion" carb spacers.
      thanks squirrel-the ones im thinking of take all 4 barrels and funnel them into 2 basically,
      right over the center of the 1/3 and 2/4 ports on the front carb, and over the center of the
      5/7 and 6/8 ports on the rear (on a chevy motor), and extend down into the plenum 3-4 inches.

like a vertical metal duck bill grafted to the bottom of a spacer, for lack of a better description.

Comment

Are they old or recent?

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          Are they old or recent?
          saw them as recently as 3-4 years ago on the www, just cant seem to pull em up now.
          i do realize TONS of things chage in 3-4 years, however. maybe they went extinct....

Comment

cant find anything either, this is interesting to me since I got this Victor Jr we were going to try. The guy cut off the bottom oil galley part to do some welding inside that kind of sounds like it has the idea you are speaking of.

Click image for larger version

Name:	victorjr.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	1271852

Comment

https://www.musclecardiy.com/perform...ake-manifolds/

this sounds like a maybe, but no pictures, just possibly more search clues. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8733312.html

edit, there is a PDF file that will open if you open it with a pdf viewer with sketches.
              Last edited by anotheridiot; June 9, 2020, 07:06 AM.

Comment

A manifold including first and second divider bodies each having a carburetor mounting flange. The first divider body includes a first and a second plenum, and the second divider body includes a third and a fourth plenum. A first pair of runners extends from the first port flange to the first plenum; a second pair of runners extends from the first port flange to the third plenum; a third pair of runners extends from the second port flange to the second plenum; and a fourth pair of runners extends from the second port flange to the fourth plenum. Accordingly, in operation, each plenum will present only one carburetor venturi to the cylinder in a low-RPM, low-throttle opening induction event, thus keeping the peak velocity through the carburetor's venturi high even at low RPM.

My fabulous web page

Comment

thats REALLY close--same thing except the ones im looking for
                  the carb flange was maybe 1/4 thick and the rest fit down inside
                  the existing plenum. these look like they replace the entire upper
                  with their design, sorta like this one.....

again, close but not quite what im thinking of. but thanks for
                  searching for me!

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

thats REALLY close--same thing except the ones im looking for
                    the carb flange was maybe 1/4 thick and the rest fit down inside
                    the existing plenum. these look like they replace the entire upper
                    with their design, sorta like this one.....

again, close but not quite what im thinking of. but thanks for
                    searching for me!

I thought that almost crossover "H" pipe tying the two banks together was interesting on the patent. The first link had a dodge pro stock manifold with more of what the guy did to this one. I was just looking for an easier way to get to a Sniper fabricated manifold so thought we could just cut out most of the plenum to put our "tank" on since it was really hard to start from scratch. So I dont know if this guys ideas were for more top end or bottom end since most of these "performance" manifolds have rpm ranges starting over 2500 and just make them not likely to want to work on the street.

Comment

If you look through the patent application info and the PDF's, the links Anotheridiot and Squirrel posted are for the same thing, and the same guy, Wayne Kever of Ft Collins, Colorado....the same place RealStreetRams is located. Sounds like it's the same guy.
                      I think when he first put this idea in motion and got magazine coverage they offered the insert/spacer deal you are thinking of, along with just the top half T-Ram castings they currently use as separate pieces to anyone with a tunnel ram, but quickly went to just offering the entire package they sell now..
                      You might try calling them and asking about it.

Interesting that the first item in the "U.S. Patent References" list is the patent for Jim McFarland's Tork-Link manifold.

The Real Street Ram is what came to my mind when I saw this thread.

Comment

the ones im thinking of looked like the reed cage on a 2 stroke dirtbike,
                        only they are fixed-no moveable reeds. im guessing they went extinct,
                        much like the big block chevy "torque plate" exhaust inserts, as i havent
                        been able to find anything on them.

might be time to bust out the welder and a couple of the thin gold zinc
                        steel spread-to-square bore edelbrock adapter plates and some sheet
                        steel and make a pair, my younger brother is determined to run a tunnel
                        ram on the street and im sure they would help with both fuel distribution
                        and velocity for better street manners.....

Comment

It might be worth a look at the restrictors that folks use to reduce the ports in Ford Cleveland 4V heads. They tend to be WAY RPM happy and these are said to help. I haven't looked for them lately but they might be more or less what you're looking for.

Dan

Comment

I will say this...since this is Bangshift man, come on!!!!...that Real Street Ram crap is for the street rodder wanna-bee's to putt-putt around the cruise night with a tunnel ram....IMO anyone really running a tunnel ram needs to really be using it - not caring how it acts below3000 rpm, running a 3000+ rpm stall converter or a manual trans, revving it to 7500+ rpm and making serious noise and power with it....otherwise, why bother??.

I'd think you would be better off to get carbs with annular boosters so it can be tuned to still have decent manners at 2500 rpm if you have to have it....choking the tunnel ram off with little funnel gimmicks under the carbs is just stoooopid IMO.

I had to say it....

Oh well, different strokes for different folks, a butt for every seat...
                            Last edited by Ericnova72; June 20, 2020, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericnova72 View Post
                              I will say this...since this is Bangshift man, come on!!!!...that Real Street Ram crap is for the street rodder wanna-bee's to putt-putt around the cruise night with a tunnel ram....IMO anyone really running a tunnel ram needs to really be using it - not caring how it acts below3000 rpm, running a 3000+ rpm stall converter or a manual trans, revving it to 7500+ rpm and making serious noise and power with it....otherwise, why bother??.

I'd think you would be better off to get carbs with annular boosters so it can be tuned to still have decent manners at 2500 rpm if you have to have it....choking the tunnel ram off with little funnel gimmicks under the carbs is just stoooopid IMO.

I had to say it....

Oh well, different strokes for different folks, a butt for every seat...
                              Thats the problem, all city driving is below 2500, so you just start to get decent at 2500 you still have a problem. Some of us have to drive thru a city to get to a highway.

Comment

Working...
                              X