anybody know...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    It might be worth a look at the restrictors that folks use to reduce the ports in Ford Cleveland 4V heads. They tend to be WAY RPM happy and these are said to help. I haven't looked for them lately but they might be more or less what you're looking for.

Dan
    We are having enough trouble finding pictures of these.......... I see one where it looks like a guy put JB weld on the bottom half of the intake port.

Comment

Here\s an idea. Plumb your tunnel ram at the ports for EFI. It's not the air but how it carries the fuel. Would an EFI on a tunnel ram NOT be driveable?
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post

Thats the problem, all city driving is below 2500, so you just start to get decent at 2500 you still have a problem. Some of us have to drive thru a city to get to a highway.
        That's why II said be serious, and use a 3000+ rpm converter or a manual trans and behavior below 2800 rpm the converter just soaks up or you downshift the manual trans. You can get high stall converters that don't act like a slip-n-slide at part throttle, but this leads back to the serious performance guy again because they ain't no $350 or less off-the-shelf cheapo's....you spend a bit more and get one custom that actually works..

T-ram and 390 or 450 cfm carbs =crap....T-ram and 2500 stall converter = crap...T-ram and less than 3.73 gear = crap.
        If your gonna run a ram be serious...don't strangle it off at 4500 rpm with restrictor gimmicks so you can putter around like your driving Gramdma's sedan.

Okay, soapbox rant over, I'm not specifically aiming at anyone and not trying to be a meanie, just good real advice about running a T-ram on the street....if the look is all your after, carry on and fab up the duckbill restrictors, can't be that hard to make with a Tig welder and few chunks of 1/4" aluminum plate and a drill press.
        Last edited by Ericnova72; June 20, 2020, 07:30 PM.

Comment

dont feed the troll, guys.....

Comment

I don't see a troll... a clutch and 4.88's will keep it closer to the happy spot. Please don't say it's to improve MPG!! lmao. The HP / TQ numbers in the super mega ram graphs weren't impressive for a 350 and begs the question how it would compare to an RPM Air Gap which is mucho better than an RPM. The look of a tunnel ram can't be denied though, I get that. There are a lot of styles exposed by Squirrel's recommended query for "Anti-Reversion" and carb spacers.

Are you talking about something like this, or the high dollar stuff from Reher Morrison / Summit below it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	33_13.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1272705

Name:	28380832-784-DOMINATOR-ANTI-REVERSION-PLATE.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1272707

Or

Name:	hvh-s0002_oh_ml.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	1272706
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              I don't see a troll... a clutch and 4.88's will keep it closer to the happy spot. Please don't say it's to improve MPG!! lmao. The HP / TQ numbers in the super mega ram graphs weren't impressive for a 350 and begs the question how it would compare to an RPM Air Gap which is mucho better than an RPM. The look of a tunnel ram can't be denied though, I get that. There are a lot of styles exposed by Squirrel's recommended query for "Anti-Reversion" and carb spacers.

Are you talking about something like this, or the high dollar stuff from Reher Morrison / Summit below it?

Name:	33_13.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1272705

Name:	28380832-784-DOMINATOR-ANTI-REVERSION-PLATE.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1272707

Or

Name:	hvh-s0002_oh_ml.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	1272706
              This was one of the first things we tried, but eventually found that the anti reversion was most needed if you are starting to fade at the big end after a full pass of wide open throttle and its benefit was closer to 7000 rpm's.

Comment

Guys - you are going the wrong direction. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a tunnel ram on the street as long as your pistons are big enough!

Comment

Not trolling one bit. Manifold design isn't just the manifold, but how it interacts with fuel delivery.

I remember when Edelbrock introduced the Tarantula. Everyone said single plane would never replace the dual plane for street use. Then Edelbrock introduced the Torker. Fact is unless there is a major problem with the carburetor interacting with the engine and the thing falls on it's face power change from manifold configuration is very subtle. Only noticeable if there is a car going just as hard beside you.

The 390s DO fix most driveability issues with tunnel rams. They just won't win you any races, but you can still go really fast.

The wrong parts is the wrong parts. You can get them working O.K., but you will never get them working better than the right parts. You get almost as good and you got them cheap or had them on hand. The wrong parts just can't be better than the right parts but they can be more convenient.

But EFI is nearly ALWAYS the right stuff. It would take a pretty f**ked up air box to kill a good EFI setup.
                  Last edited by RockJustRock; June 21, 2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                    Not trolling one bit. Manifold design isn't just the manifold, but how it interacts with fuel delivery.

I remember when Edelbrock introduced the Tarantula. Everyone said single plane would never replace the dual plane for street use. Then Edelbrock introduced the Torker. Fact is unless there is a major problem with the carburetor interacting with the engine and the thing falls on it's face power change from manifold configuration is very subtle. Only noticeable if there is a car going just as hard beside you.

The 390s DO fix most driveability issues with tunnel rams. They just won't win you any races, but you can still go really fast.

The wrong parts is the wrong parts. You can get them working O.K., but you will never get them working better than the right parts. You get almost as good and you got them cheap or had them on hand. The wrong parts just can't be better than the right parts but they can be more convenient.

But EFI is nearly ALWAYS the right stuff. It would take a pretty f**ked up air box to kill a good EFI setup.
                    I've always thought that if I ever do another tunnel ram, I'll simply disconnect the 'rear' butterflies.... then it looks like I've got 1500 cfm but really only 750.... backstory is I had a friend who really wanted a tunnel ram on his 283 in his Nova.... we could never get it to run, let alone run right.... ah the young n dumb days. I'm not like my dad where everything he touched ran until I started wrenching on cars.....
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Dominators, small block. Wrong parts.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I've always thought that if I ever do another tunnel ram, I'll simply disconnect the 'rear' butterflies.... then it looks like I've got 1500 cfm but really only 750.... backstory is I had a friend who really wanted a tunnel ram on his 283 in his Nova.... we could never get it to run, let alone run right.... ah the young n dumb days. I'm not like my dad where everything he touched ran until I started wrenching on cars.....
                        You could get the same effect by running vacuum secondaries and stiff springs. You could also run a progressive linkage opening the rear carb first. The problem isn't just overall size though. It is how the fuel gets dispersed. The smaller throttle bores don't fix everything, just enough to get by. It's not the difference between fast and faster. It's the difference between BWAAAHHHH and BOOOOOGGGG.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                          Dominators, small block. Wrong parts.

That's the Grumpy's Toy XI "tribute" car, not the real thing....and from the content of that video, owned and operated by a group of idiots who couldn't tuna fish.

You think Grumpy would have ever put up with that kind of poor carburetor behavior??

it's not because it's two Dominators, that's a fact.

Comment

Working...
                          X