Makita 18v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makita 18v

I remember when Makita was the highest quality brand.... now they're just average and maybe a touch under achieving in longevity.
    Batteries seem to hold up okay, but now the sawzall just started shutting down and overheating. I've gone through two brushless and one brushed drill. two overheated and stopped working, my latest brushless - the bearing for the chuck is very loose.

I'm moving towards Milwaukie.

anyway... just a FYI of my experience.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

I have Makita and agree that they were the go to for cordless but they are not moving forward that much.

Milwaukie seams to be moving forward, smaller with just as much power.
    Tim
    Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

so, what about Dewalt?
      Last edited by cstmwgn; June 11, 2020, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
        so, what about Dewalt?
        never been impressed with them, my brother had them and my dad has them....

Comment

Our shop uses Makita, they work ok, but I'm not impressed with the quality (or lack thereof) anymore. This is a prime example of what happens when a good brand takes the 'Chinesium' route. I've had good luck with RIDGID. I bought a refurb'd RIDGID mini 12v drill, 1/4" impact + charger combo off of eBay a few years ago and they still work good. Milwaukee still makes good stuff as far as I can tell. My buddy uses Milwaukee tools in his car garage daily and has for years.

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
            Our shop uses Makita, they work ok, but I'm not impressed with the quality (or lack thereof) anymore. This is a prime example of what happens when a good brand takes the 'Chinesium' route. I've had good luck with RIDGID. I bought a refurb'd RIDGID mini 12v drill, 1/4" impact + charger combo off of eBay a few years ago and they still work good. Milwaukee still makes good stuff as far as I can tell. My buddy uses Milwaukee tools in his car garage daily and has for years.
            it's really telling when my 12v Milwaukie drill has every bit the power of the 18v Makita....

Comment

We used to make the switch for the milwaukee tools. This PC board material clad to aluminum for the immediate heat sink.

I started with the ryobi kits, thought I was moving up to a dewalt drill and it was the worst one I have ever owned. The only reason its still around is because I never use it.

At least with the Ryobi you know you are buying cheap tools, you invest in batteries and replace tools without getting too upset since they are usually 20-40 bucks and often times free with purchases.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
                We used to make the switch for the milwaukee tools. This PC board material clad to aluminum for the immediate heat sink.

I started with the ryobi kits, thought I was moving up to a dewalt drill and it was the worst one I have ever owned. The only reason its still around is because I never use it.

At least with the Ryobi you know you are buying cheap tools, you invest in batteries and replace tools without getting too upset since they are usually 20-40 bucks and often times free with purchases.
                my first cordless was a Ryobi drill (9.6 volts of powah). it outlasted the batteries - that said, while the Makita drill and sawzall both cooked themselves, they still cost less because they lasted longer then the cheap alternative.(if you really want the wings on that bat - see my adventures with HF buffers which lead to the purchase of the makita, corded buffer)

DeWalt and Milwaukee (and now Makita) do something that really annoys. They have different qualities of tools but they look, functionally, identical. (DeWalt MAX, Milwaukee FUEL, Makita black are the premiums) - if you buy a multi-tool set from any of them, read the fine print, often it comes with the premium brand drill, then the cheaper (read brushed) secondary tools. The other favorite tactic is swapping battery capacities. I was looking at a 2 tool set from Milwaukee - and there was an $80 price difference because one battery was 4.0 instead of 2.0 amp hour. A 4.0 amp hour battery is $80 - meaning if you bought the set with one, larger battery; you overpaid the cost of a 2.0 amp hour battery.

strangely, though, I'm impressed with the 12v from Makita. I have a drill and hammer driver 12v from Makita and they work just fine - but those are occasional use, so I dunno what would happen if they got thrown into the hole-drilling mix.
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 11, 2020, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                  so, what about Dewalt?
                  We started with a 9.6 Ryobi, then went to 18 V DeWalt... We are now pretty much DeWalt ...As things progress, Moving more towards the 20V Brushless... The latest is the 20V 13 inch string trimmer..I have been pleasantly impressed with it's performance!
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Speaking of cheap tools, I bought a Haabah Fweight Bauer brand drill a while back when they were on 'sale' for $55. The tool itself is actually pretty good quality. The chucks nice, it's not too heavy, and it's powerful.., when the battery works... The 1.5aH battery that it comes with is total trash. You'd be lucky to get 30 minutes of use out of it. You know it's all about selling batteries when a 3aH battery is $40 which is almost as much as the drill itself. I do like the drill enough to buy a better battery, eventually......

Comment

Milwaukee's 12v line seems to have good reviews. I've been eyeballing their 12v stuff just because it's cute and the battery discharging is a good excuse for a beer. I think Milwaukee is still interested in the professional level / exceptional quality expectation type user. DeWalt and Makita seem to have adopted the big box store consumer price point mentality from their accountants. My old DeWalt hammer drill was a beast, but was killed by fire. Literally. The new one took no time at all in showing me brush problems. It wound up in the toolbox for misfit tools. I don't have a lot of patience for having to repair a tool before I can repair or build whatever it was that made me get the tool out.

Voltage doesn't necessarily equate to power, wattage does. Nobody advertises that way though. To me, none of the "voltage" stuff is really as relevant as how much current the pack can deliver. One guy can take the nominal charge (3.6v for most lithium) with 5 cells in series and call it 18v, another can might call it 20 (4.1 or 4.2v peak charge x 5s). None of them really say how many amps it can deliver, either continuous or burst. That's the number that interests me... and why I don't use the 1.5aH packs on my sawzall. All of this modern junk is still a ton better at saving time and labor than when I was a kid (Armstrong).
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Sorry for the huge picture for the phone guys, but this is what happens when you no longer respect your power tools. 18v tool, 24v battery from another vendor. "custom" made from cornstarch and window caulk mold, and "smooth cast" liquid plastic

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frank.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1272157

Comment

Looks less hack-tastic painted. For a while there, Lowe's had 1.5aH batteries for 10.00 apiece. They have LG cells if I remember right... they don't sell them that cheap any more.

Click image for larger version  Name:	frank2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	408.0 KB ID:	1272159
                          Last edited by Beagle; June 13, 2020, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Obligatory full on DeRail... why would you do that you ask? It started out innocently enough. I had a 50x50w mini amplifier and needed 24v for it... it's kinda ugly but it works. I don't look at it, I listen to it.

Name:	amp (2).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	836.4 KB
ID:	1272161

Name:	amp3 (2).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	823.5 KB
ID:	1272162

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              Obligatory full on DeRail... why would you do that you ask? It started out innocently enough. I had a 50x50w mini amplifier and needed 24v for it... it's kinda ugly but it works. I don't look at it, I listen to it.
                              That's badass

Comment

Working...
                              X