Drivetrain Slop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivetrain Slop

This may seem too easy, but I've never encountered too much slop when at a steady speed.........no clunking, just an annoying fore and aft rocking motion. Smooth under acceleration and deceleration. With the car in gear, I can roll it back and forth about 2" with a lug wrench on a lugnut. Clutch, U-joints and tranny are new with less than 1,000 miles on them. Can this be wear in the differential or improper lash between the ring and pinion? I haven't done any troubleshooting at this point.....
    Last edited by oletrux4evr; July 17, 2020, 08:33 PM.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

sounds normal to me....there is play at the axle and side gear splines, and at the spider gears. And things wind up a little, too.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Yeah, I realize there is a little space in every geared surface mesh and they will add up.........it just seems to be more than I would expect. It doesn't hurt anything, just annoying. A downshift will stop it. Thanks Jim, I value your opinion.
      Last edited by oletrux4evr; July 18, 2020, 07:37 AM.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
      X