gas powered air brush air compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas powered air brush air compressor

As some know, I have friends who are doing good things in Bolivia (highlands specifically). One of those things is they fly dentists into the remote villages. ATM they are using a 50 lb gas generator and a twin of what I'll show you next to run air tools and provide suction for dentistry... that's about 80lbs. My friend asked if I could make the air compressor gas-powered - I said sure. He said under 30 lbs. I said... why not? he said 12x12.... I said "don't push your luck"... though I may make that dimension... and be at 20 lbs. so, in an effort to have even more of my stuff stolen and copied by the chinese... here it goes. Though I still am planning on some rube goldberg contraption to see if I can sucker them into building it. This may be it, though I doubt it.

the air compressor weighs 12 lbs

tonight was spent seeing how it comes apart (I did test it first because chinesium).
    whoever they copied - seems they did a lot right

the biggest issue at the moment is getting it apart... I think the entire assembly is pressed onto the motor

what for power? well, a weed eater motor, 4 cycle weed eater ... that should be here thursday.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Cool stuff! A 2.2 hp Honda clone from HF ( I think they call it a 3 hp) may be easier on gas, quiter, and last longer. They are heavy compared to a weed whacker though. All the yard equipment 4 strokes I've used idle nervously about where I figure a compressor would want to be run. The one's I've used were pretty rough running, but it's been a while. I have enough twenty year old two stroke Echo junk left to probably outlast me so I don't have a lot of recent experience with the 4 stroke stuff. Hope it works!

/edit - yeah, it's 22 pounds. That'd probably put it over weight budget.
    Last edited by Beagle; August 1, 2020, 03:54 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I looked at a bunch of options, including RC motors. the compressor requires 1/5 hp - so meeting those requirements is pretty easy. I also thought about sending used stuff, but was afraid of parts availability in Bolivia.

Comment

Not criticizing here - but gas and electric horse power numbers don't really match up well in my world... I'll pull a wait and see but most of that weedeater / blower stuff is designed to run up around 7000 rpm or more, upside down, rightside up, whatever. Personal opinion, worth what it cost, but I think I'd lean towards a stationary style targeting 3600 like you would see with an electric and take the weight hit.

/Edit - Then again, 3600 might be a pretty fuel efficient throttle position for a roughly 30cc weedeater motor, probably more than enough power to spin the compressor. Hmmm. that's the "I'll wait and see" part.

What are you gonna use for an unloader / idle down when the tank is full? Weedeater stuff doesn't have an adjustable governor either.

as far as reliability goes, this would be dang hard to beat - they kind of changed the power equipment world's expectations about 35 years ago for the better.

12 pounds, 2 hp @ 7000, governor, probably okay quiet at 3600 or so, runs on 86 octane

The Honda GX50 Mini 4-Stroke Engine is one of the world's smallest 4-stroke engines. The GX50 small engine is lightweight, easy to start, and durable. With 360 inclinable technology, the GX50 delivers powerful performance in a compact package.

Click image for larger version  Name:	gxh50_imglg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.2 KB ID:	1276479
        Last edited by Beagle; August 1, 2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

You won't be throwing away much starting with a water pump. This one is the most compact at Home Depot although a 3 HP Stanley is about the same price.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Water-Pumps/Gas-Powered/N-5yc1vZbqlbZ1z0v5jp?Ns=P_REP_PRC_MODE%7C0&experienc eName=default

Click image for larger version

Name:	sportsman-transfer-pumps-803518-64_1000.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1276544
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

With the Stanley you get the gas tank on top and better parts availability.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stanley-transfer-pumps-st1-5wp-ca-1f_1000.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1276546
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

top one is a two stroke... that's cheating in the weight department. Water pumps usually have a tapered shaft too, which turns into a pain.
              Last edited by Beagle; August 1, 2020, 02:22 PM.

Comment

weedeater motors were cheaper by at least 70%...
                as for a governor - I have two ideas. 1) run a small alternator off the motor then use that power to power the pressure switches, or 2) simply make a mechanical switch.... this really isn't rocket surgery - pressure pushes valve up reduce the speed of the motor until the clutch isn't engaged....
                and the clutch is also one of the reasons I went this route (could have used a chainsaw, but not 4 stroke). It's also why it's the better alternative to a direct drive. I fully expect to buy a coupling and solve the pressure/switch issue and call it a day.
                if there is a market for this - then the chinese can make something more elegant. odds are good that the one person on the planet who needs it will still be using this one. with the way battery tech is, most would simply run a compressor off a couple 20v batteries and recharge it with the sun.... very few people need it for their airplanes - and the ones who might have a air hose connected to a spark plug....

Comment

and if weight wasn't an issue, I'd simply extend the crank shaft so that a gas motor could run the compressor and turn the motor (making it into a generator - and yes, I'm being brief, I know there are things you need to do to make a motor into a generator).

and I do appreciate the input.
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 1, 2020, 05:51 PM.

Comment

I thought about battery for a few minutes yesterday. This would all need to be confirmed and there are no efficiency adjustments for the electronics. I usually think in the 80% range for efficiency when you have to change voltages. For the sake of discussion, let's say that 1 hp =750w roughly, and you'd want to put a killawatt on it or something to measure how much it really pulls, but let's say 150watts. 2 x 6Ah batteries @ 20v in parallel would run it for a little over an hour at 100% duty cycle. A couple of 100w solar panels would theoretically keep up with it in a perfect world but are hardly portable. Small wind turbine would also be a thought as an overnight charger or cloudy day backup, but no portablility really.

Put a big (100Ah) battery pack on a EV bicycle and mount it to that?

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      I thought about battery for a few minutes yesterday. This would all need to be confirmed and there are no efficiency adjustments for the electronics. I usually think in the 80% range for efficiency when you have to change voltages. For the sake of discussion, let's say that 1 hp =750w roughly, and you'd want to put a killawatt on it or something to measure how much it really pulls, but let's say 150watts. 2 x 6Ah batteries @ 20v in parallel would run it for a little over an hour at 100% duty cycle. A couple of 100w solar panels would theoretically keep up with it in a perfect world but are hardly portable. Small wind turbine would also be a thought as an overnight charger or cloudy day backup, but no portablility really.

Put a big (100Ah) battery pack on a EV bicycle and mount it to that?
                      I seriously think you're missing the point... take a watch... one of the few things they don't have to avoid is power lines.... if it's windy, they aren't flying because, well, death.

Comment

Yeah, I get it. Air America for Dentists... duct tape flexible solar panels to the wings. ;)

Are they using the genset for anything besides the compressor? It's not the gas engine on generators that is heavy, but you know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          Yeah, I get it. Air America for Dentists... duct tape flexible solar panels to the wings. ;)

Are they using the genset for anything besides the compressor? It's not the gas engine on generators that is heavy, but you know that.
                          solar panels on the wings... um, how much does a 1000' extension cord weight? and there is a reason they call what the wings do "lift"...

less peasants shooting at airplanes, but yes.... though if I saw an airplane carrying my dentist, I would be sorely tempted to shoot... but I digress

life there is a bit too rustic for them to have such things (electricity) - they're like the Amish except these folks have sheep. I presume they use flashlights to see into their mouths - but that's lower level of power.

I even suggested buying several generators that they could leave in the villages (I can get small generators for just under $100) - but that would bring the other problem - ever seen "The gods must be crazy?" the worst part would be flying in, hiking from the airport to location only to find out that a villager threw the generator off the end of the world....
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 2, 2020, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Aah , I'm sure he'd wait till it ran out of gas !
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Why is this based off of an air compressor and not just a vacuum pump? much fewer moving parts and slower rpm requirements.

Comment

Working...
                              X