Eastwood roll on primer???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastwood roll on primer???

Has anyone used Eastwoods roll on primer system? I'm repainting a 24 year old trailer this fall, and if this stuff is good I'm thinking of using it. I like the idea of not having to drape the whole shop in plastic to control overspray. Now if only the topcoat could be applied that way. Hey its a trailer not a showcar.

I've watched some of their video is about all I can say. It was a somewhat impressive system, emphasis on system. I'd probably roll / brush on Por 15 right over any rust. Use a roller and a brush to tip it in. None of it is inexpensive though.

has a bunch of videos using the system. This is body work stuff, not really trailer stuff in my mind. How picky are you? I've seen some snazzy trailer paint jobs.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

we bought a gallon of their black epoxy primer, 1:1 mix, dried on the hood in 3 days, never got hard over the quarter panels, tail pan, sail panels. Wish it would have not gotten hard on the hood. Experts say just put it out in the sun for a day and the paint will harden if you have a problem, so as long as you have access to sun if it does not catalyze properly I guess I would try. I have been using Kirker paint lately and trying to find another source other than the one 20 miles away who says they ship if orders are placed by 3, the only other brand that came up searching Kirker was eastwood. Dont know if its just a coincidence or not or if Kirker brands their products.

So no on the roll on primer, but going on heavier than spray I would make sure you have a window or crush a little blue pill in it when you mix it.

Comment

I just painted the roll bar with Rustoleum primer and black and both dried pretty quickly, say, overnight. I haven't used the Eastwood stuff so I'm no help there. Catalyzed primers should dry up in reasonable time so I wonder if anotheridiot used the wrong hardener for conditions or ?? Might be worth checking with Eastwood to see what they recommend for high humidity or other situations you might have up there in Snowland.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
          we bought a gallon of their black epoxy primer, 1:1 mix, dried on the hood in 3 days, never got hard over the quarter panels, tail pan, sail panels. Wish it would have not gotten hard on the hood. Experts say just put it out in the sun for a day and the paint will harden if you have a problem, so as long as you have access to sun if it does not catalyze properly I guess I would try. I have been using Kirker paint lately and trying to find another source other than the one 20 miles away who says they ship if orders are placed by 3, the only other brand that came up searching Kirker was eastwood. Dont know if its just a coincidence or not or if Kirker brands their products.

So no on the roll on primer, but going on heavier than spray I would make sure you have a window or crush a little blue pill in it when you mix it.

Rumor has it that the paint Eastwood is selling is just relabeled Kirker.
          Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

I'll have to look into Kirker. Might be available around here. I may have it media blasted to clean it up, and if so the place that is near me does some kind of finish. Maybe I'll just let them do it. I hate painting after all...

Comment

That sure sounds like a freshly retired guy to me. :| Hee hee. How rusty is this?
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Well, I used it in the winter of 2018 right after a snow storm when we moved into the newhouse. Never got it to the carwash until summer. Guess its my own fault, rusted on the tongue where road spray blasted it. Surface rust so far, so getting after it now will prevent havingto cot tubing out and replacing it...

By the way, have I ever mentioned how much Ihate painting?

Comment

Originally posted by MP&C View Post

Rumor has it that the paint Eastwood is selling is just relabeled Kirker.
                  I pretty much agree, although Kirker really does not push black epoxy. We are about to try the allkandy wet wet clear plus, I really dont care about the base if you protect it enough it should not fade..I did get the kirker color card, have the eastwood, different names, same colors. Eastwood refers to alot of GM colors, refers to plum crazy, where kirker has their own names, but 53 on each card.
                  Last edited by anotheridiot; September 1, 2020, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X