Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do chevelles and lemans/ gto use the same core support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do chevelles and lemans/ gto use the same core support?

I got a set of chevelle body bushings and all but the fronts are fitting. The bushings in the front don’t slide into the core support as they are too wide.

You didn't list a year..

Core supports on late 60's-early 70's A bodies...

Chevelle/Malibu: 68-69, 70, 71-72
    Lemans/GTO: 68-70, 71-72
    Skylark/300: 68-69, 70, 71-72
    Cutlass/F85: 68, 69, 70, 71, 72

Comment

I would be really surprised if they were the same.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Still seems like it is going to be easier to find Chevelle parts than Lemans and GTO parts if they are different, so die grinder, some epoxy touch up paint is probably the way to go anyway.

Comment

My car is a 71 and I am having trouble getting the set of body bushings in the core support. Everywhere else was fine but the front bushings are too big to fit.

Comment

you have these bushings?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

It won’t load. Keeps trying to make me download some app

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpower View Post
                It won’t load. Keeps trying to make me download some app
                I thought it was just me, ever since the bangshift.com website wants to thing for notifications showed up, I can hardly click on anything without getting redirected. I just had an update so I figured it was something new.

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                  You didn't list a year..

Core supports on late 60's-early 70's A bodies...

Chevelle/Malibu: 68-69, 70, 71-72
                  Lemans/GTO: 68-70, 71-72
                  Skylark/300: 68-69, 70, 71-72
                  Cutlass/F85: 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
                  Also, 70-72 GTO/T41 core supports are different than those for the chrome bumper LeMans front ends. The 70 GTO is different than the 71 and 72. So the chances of them fitting a chevelle without lots of work is going to be minimal. The 70-72 LeMans with the chrome bumper have minor differences, but they will work with the chrome bumpers. This is the '72 T41 the only things that will fit the LeMans front ends without work are the bushings and wheel wells.So it really depends on what you have and need. The 71 and 72 hoods are close enough they work, and the bumper relief is different between 71 and 72 in addition to the extractor scoops on the 72 fenders, but the 70-72 LeMans fenders with the chrome bumper are all close enough to work.Gotta know which front end you have.

Getting the right stuff is usually a pain, especially since most chevelle stuff doesn't fit quite right, that includes front suspension. There is variance that isn't readily apparent.

Comment

Thumpin KNOWS this Pontiac stuff! We're lucky to have him on the Forum.

Dan

Comment

My 71 Lemans is the base model with a chrome front bumper. It’s the only car I’ve posted about on here. When I bought the body bushings the site I was on didn’t have them for a Lemans so I thought that 70 or 71 chevelle bushings would work. I checked last week tho and the core support bushing are too wide and not long enough for the nut to catch the bolt. Thump where do you order bushings from? Can I get them from a local parts store? Also need a new core support as mine is getting rusty but we will deal with that later

Comment

on rock auto, they have front bushings and bolts listed as
                        GOODMARK GMK433232668S for the 71 lemans, for 15.15, only one in stock. Bushings, washers and bolts They do not have a listing for a radiator or core support.

they only have the entire bushing package with a radiator support of GMK403332071 for the chevelle.

So I guess you are in a mess of not being able to replace the core support, or make a chevelle core support work with those bushings?

Comment

I know nothing about 71 Lemans but could you do something with your original core support and these plates?

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                            I know nothing about 71 Lemans but could you do something with your original core support and these plates?
                            https://www.opgi.com/sheet-metal-bod...r-g241608.html
                            Those are the plates to replace the holes on the frame side of the support, so going this route, you would probably want the Chevelle ones to use the new bushings he already has.so you have the right size hole. Still the same predicament if he cannot get a replacement core support for a lemans.,

Comment

Decisions decisions. I kind of want to keep it stock-like. So switching to the velle core support doesn’t sound good. But then again I have these bushings.

Comment

Working...
                              X