Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do chevelles and lemans/ gto use the same core support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just thought 15 bucks and shipping would ease the decision and keep it original.

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpower View Post
      Decisions decisions. I kind of want to keep it stock-like. So switching to the velle core support doesn’t sound good. But then again I have these bushings.
      I've hesitated to weigh in because I'm working on a Buick... but if it helps, great, if not, you get a full refund of free.

My 64 wagon has different core support bushings - not just that but the core support itself is quite a bit different. The easiest view of why - the inner fender on the Chevelle is different than the Buick, that follows through to the core support. I'm not sure why they made the change but it is different - my only guess is BOP felt the Chevelle inner fender and support might rattle - where the Chevelle support and inner fender is flat with a turn down to the frame - the Buick is flat and relies on beads to increase the rigidity.... that said, the easiest tell is the Chevelle core support has 3 bolts at the inner fender, the Buick 4.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

That rock auto link you sent me did not have any in stock. They’re going to email me when they get a set in though

Comment

There was one when I posted it, but I use Rock auto to get part numbers too, then you can google other places. Newer parts like alternators or starters, I find the part number then go to amazon to see if anyone has prime with free shipping.

There were a few hits on googling the part number, https://www.andysautosport.com/produ...33232668S.html has a chat link or see if someone will go physically check inventory. If its a drop ship, Summit had expected ship at 2-15, but sometimes Jegs or Speedway show stock. Good mark has contact us low stock item.

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpower View Post
            My 71 Lemans is the base model with a chrome front bumper. It’s the only car I’ve posted about on here. When I bought the body bushings the site I was on didn’t have them for a Lemans so I thought that 70 or 71 chevelle bushings would work. I checked last week tho and the core support bushing are too wide and not long enough for the nut to catch the bolt. Thump where do you order bushings from? Can I get them from a local parts store? Also need a new core support as mine is getting rusty but we will deal with that later
            The last three A bodys I have replaced body bushings on I used Energy Suspension polyurethane, if I need to make spacers or turn them down to fit, I do that. As long as you have a bolt that fits the hole and is long enough, and the spacing is right so the fenders and hood line up, it will work. The 70 has its original ones, they are dog tired. The 69 LeMans I made a core support from an old screen door, and its just bolted directly to the frame with no bushings. The 65 GTO has energy suspension stuff, so does the Cutlass in the shop right now. You could probably make some from hockey pucks, drill a hole, make them the right thickness, turn them down if needed, and it does the same thing. They aren't super critical, close enough is good enough, its not like bearing clearances or clutch pack/bearing preload, get it close and you're good. Its kinda like working with wood, rather than thousandths of an inch eighths will probably get it done.

I'm not around much so I don't see things often.

Comment

I ended up using the original that I pulled out because it was the only one that would fit. Looks like the front end is sagging a little bit now but at least somethings in there.

Comment

I will crawl back under there with the new ones and see if I can turn them down to make them work.

Comment

I can now answer "no" it does not. Different radiator mounts.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                  X