Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 Ford 5.8 Injectors Replacement Hints?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Ford 5.8 Injectors Replacement Hints?

Any Ford Wrench Heads out there?
    On the Marrakesh Express, I have a week cylinder sound in the exhaust. All the Ignition System components have been replaced. Shop manual directs to Injectors.
    In the repair records, nothing about injectors being replaced. (this was a Government Surplus DEA Survailence Van, with 46,000 original miles)
    Looked up injectors, over the years there had been a "Upgrade in Injectors" and sets are out there, everwhere. So I orders a Bosh set in the stock 19# delivery.
    So......
    First am I hunting down the right track?
    And being an Ol' Skool Rusty Iron Junkie, never messed with fuel injection other than a Air Mass Sensor on a past Daily Driver,
    WHAT HEAD ACHES have signed on for besided working on this in the Van's Dog House/Engine Tunnel ?
    And Save The Ford Jokes........
    Capt

Chilton manual is never a bad idea. There's not a lot to replacing them. Release the pressure on the fuel rail (schrader valve) is probably the messiest part, don't let it spray you in the face. There's 43 something PSI on the fuel rail when it's been running. There's something like 4 bolts on the manifold holding the fuel rail down. The injector connectors have locks on them that will be fragile, be gently with them. Gently pry the fuel rail up, some of the injectors will probably stay with the manifold and need to be wiggled out... make sure the o-rings come out on both ends. Make sure everything is clean and lube the o-rings on the new injectors. A picture taken during disassembly can give you a decent reference on how far they need to be seated.

I don't remember having to remove the rail from the fuel supply / return line but if you do, there's a little bastich tool needed to compress the spring for the push-lock fittings. That's kind of un-nerving the first time you do it, push the lines together, cram the release tool in there, pull them apart. Again, I don't remember that being necessary for injector replacement, but it's been a while since I've done it. It'll make sense when you get in there and look at it, very simple setup.

New injectors should make it happier than old crusted up injectors.. with that few a miles on a van from that year model I would be shocked if they weren't a little (lot) varnished up.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Thank You Beagle !!
      I have a Haynes Manual......They can be vague in the dialog....And Their Favorite Quote.....this is a Dealer Service Item...
      I wish they still had "Motor" service manuals. They were SO MUCH more detailed !!! They even would show how too make Special Tools to make the job easier !!
      Did see a DYI online video, but it was a newer model Pick Up.
      I will see how this Shop Adventure Goes.......You may hear Compound Cussing all the way to your Place !!!!

Party On !!

Comment

They really didn't change much if any between '88 and '97 as far as I know. I'm kind of an idiot, forgot to say plan on pulling the upper part of the manifold, which isn't all that big of a deal since the connectors are shaped to only fit what they are supposed to. That means getting the gasket ordered if you haven't already. This is basically what you will end up seeing:

Click image for larger version  Name:	351 injector.png Views:	0 Size:	283.5 KB ID:	1284195

Or maybe you can try it this guys way, about 7:40 in you can see where he shoves things out of the way:

Last edited by Beagle; November 28, 2020, 10:32 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

...and don't forget that ONE of the bolts for the upper intake is a torx head, buried between the runners on the passenger side. Lots of fun.

But the injector procedure is very straight forward, as stated.
          1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
          1997 Mustang GT
          sigpic

Comment

The actual injector R&R is the same as a 5.0 like in the Mustang although the upper intake is different on a truck. So you can take a look at the Mustang tutorials on YouTube and get the info. Pretty sure Beags is right and you don't have to pull the fuel lines off. I swapped my 19# for 24# on the 5.8 in Stanger and it went without a hitch.

Dan

Comment

Thank You for all the encouragement !!
              Waiting on Parts, Injectors to be here tomorrow, picking up Intake gasket tomorrow also,
              have calls into both of my sons trying to locate my Torx Socket set...,,,,,
              I swear I'm going to hook the a Fence Charger to my Tool Boxes !!

Comment

One advantage to being (more or less) the only person who works in my shop - other than that gremlin who hides tools when the mood strikes it. My problem is that there's no one else to yell at.

Dan

Comment

Just a update.....
                  No I have Not tried to siphon off the end of a 12ga. (yet)......
                  Some other things had too come in the shop for repairs. Grandpa's Shop is Always Open for extra Projects......
                  My Grandson was given a Go Kart from a Aunt on my Daughter in Law's side that had been sitting in a shed for over ten years.
                  So we have been cleaning it up, and the Carb was TOTALLY Gunked Up with the Green Slime of "Corn Gas" !!!
                  Kade did get a few laps around the yard before they had to go home, but it never was running right.
                  Just before They left found the Problem......When my son changed the oil, I gave him a quart of new oil, he assumed I meant, pour it in.....
                  I didn't mean all of it !!!
                  It was so over full it was sucking oil into the carb thru the crank vent tube.......
                  I will get the oil level right, and redo all the carb settings on the rebuilt Carb. Told Kade that he has to come back up next weekend,
                  and Grandpa will race Him (and Tyler) against my Racing Garden Tractor........
                  My Daughter in Law thinks I'm a BAD INFLUENCE for a 5 year old.... !!!!!

Comment

Perfect influence! Carry on!

Dan

Comment

The New Injectors are in, and it started on the second crank !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1607626795514.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1284851

Now I Know why the Flat Rate for a injector replacement is listed at $2,400.00+ !!!
                      Here's the first bunch of Crap that has to be removed to even see the front of the engine.

Name:	1607731282908.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1284852

Then after you get the Dog House out.......Lookie at ALL THat Room to work in......

Name:	1607562289469.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1284853

Comment

And isn't this first look where you are too say.....HELL NO !!! Ain't Happening !!

Well,I pressed on, and with cuts, gouges, bruised ribs got down to this
                        I masking taped the lower intake openings

Now working on a Van, you will need help !!! Most of it you can tackle by yourself,
                        But you are going to need a extra set of hands and eyes, multiple times.
                        Like Finding bolts that fall out to unknown places.

Name:	1607635163493.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1284855
                        I recruited my House Cleaning Lady, lucky she a Farm Girl and thought it would be
                        fun to watch me Cuss at things.

Comment

And isn't this first look where you are too say.....HELL NO !!! Ain't Happening !!
                          ​​
                          Well,I pressed on, and with cuts, gouges, bruised ribs got down to this
                          I masking taped the lower intake openings
                          ​​
                          Now working on a Van, you will need help !!! Most of it you can tackle by yourself,
                          But you are going to need a extra set of hands and eyes, multiple times.
                          Like Finding bolts that fall out to unknown places.

I recruited my House Cleaning Lady, lucky she a Farm Girl and thought it would be
                          fun to watch me Cuss at things.

Comment

And Teddyzee was right about that Torx bolt hidden on the passenger side of the plenum.
                            This is where a helper worked out, after getting it loose, I tipped the plenum back and Heather
                            could reach in there to get the bolt so we wouldn't drop in into the lower manifold openings.
                            The injectors came out like in the video, Stuborn, but we got them out in one piece....LOL

Comment

And the electrical plugs were different than the video, so with two people, one spread the side locks ever so gently not to break them,
                              the other wiggled the plug off. Also putting the fuel rail back on is a two person job, and real cozy with both of you in that tiny engine compartment,
                              After one helps line the injectors up, I had to keep pressing down on the Fuel Rail while Heather reached in from the Otherside to get the small bolts tighted down. Click image for larger version

Name:	1607624258689.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1284859

Comment

Working...
                              X