Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody use a 4l60e behind a Pontiac before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody use a 4l60e behind a Pontiac before?

Know it can be done. I scrapped the t56 idea because I needed money and sold it. Plus the swap would have cost me more than I payed for the car which is silly. For 500 bucks I can get a rusted out chevy that had a fresh trans put in it built to hold 500 hp. I would consider doing this if i can do it cheapish. His motor was at least 350 hp tq so I know it will hold up behind something.

Nobody?

Comment

They use the same aftermarket controllers, so I think I'd go for the 4l80e... 4l60e's have been known to shred themselves behind stock v6's. Todd (Thumpin455) will get on here eventually and tell you the Pontiac makes soooooo much torque that nothing can be done to a 4l60e to make it live behind one. I think you can but it's bucks up to do it. You've got room in the tunnel I believe?

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

4L60E is the electronically controlled version of a 700R4.
        total weak sauce, factory was 260ft/lb rating.

i would NEVER willingly run any version of 700R4/4L60/4L60E
        in anything i own, they are horrible problematic weak transmissions.
        yes, youll get guys who tell you how theirs lives behind a 500hp 454,
        but TRUST me its on borrowed time. ive had so many fail that i
        wont buy a vehicle that has one unless im planning to gut and stuff
        it shortly with something else.

TH350, TH400, or old school muncie 4spd, or bucks up and do
        a jericho, lenco, liberty bell, gforce, etc... if it HAS to be auto w/od,
        then a gear vendors over/under behind a TH350 or TH400.

especially behind a worked 455 pontiac, that 4.21" stroke will
        make a hella lot more torque than any 4L60E can handle reliably
        for any length of time. just my opinion both personally and professionally.

Comment

May want to consider a BUILT 200R4 as they have the aftermarket support for the buick grand nationals.... and the correct bellhousing pattern....

2004R Performance Transmission - California Performance Transmission stocks high performance 200-4R and 700R4 Automatic Transmissions, Torque Converters, Shifters and Parts
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
            4L60E is the electronically controlled version of a 700R4.
            total weak sauce, factory was 260ft/lb rating.

i would NEVER willingly run any version of 700R4/4L60/4L60E
            in anything i own, they are horrible problematic weak transmissions.
            yes, youll get guys who tell you how theirs lives behind a 500hp 454,
            but TRUST me its on borrowed time. ive had so many fail that i
            wont buy a vehicle that has one unless im planning to gut and stuff
            it shortly with something else.

TH350, TH400, or old school muncie 4spd, or bucks up and do
            a jericho, lenco, liberty bell, gforce, etc... if it HAS to be auto w/od,
            then a gear vendors over/under behind a TH350 or TH400.

especially behind a worked 455 pontiac, that 4.21" stroke will
            make a hella lot more torque than any 4L60E can handle reliably
            for any length of time. just my opinion both personally and professionally.
            he's alive!

4L80e, Super T-10
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Vote 2 for the T10 .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I dont know, I agree with Beagle, does the new automatic 6 speeds they are putting in the camaros that handle 650 foot pounds of torque enough to go behind a 50 year old pontiac?

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
                  I dont know, I agree with Beagle, does the new automatic 6 speeds they are putting in the camaros that handle 650 foot pounds of torque enough to go behind a 50 year old pontiac?
                  Depends on how much 50 year old Pontiac he has!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

he's alive!

4L80e, Super T-10
                    i can take a magic marker and draw a line on your ST-10 from the
                    "grand canyon" at tailhousing mount to the lower corner of the side
                    inspection cover to show you exactly where its going to break....

muncie everytime for me. ive learned the hard way, broke MANY
                    ST-10s. they all broke same exact place, from the grand canyon
                    to the side cover. yet a lowly muncie M20 (the wide ratio one that
                    nobody wants...) took 3 seasons of 8000rpm launches on slicks
                    behind a N2O sniffing 427+.060 to 440 without a whimper in a
                    9.90 jr pro 68 camaro.

the 5.87 gears may have helped it live, but still...........muncie.

Comment

problem being he wants an automatic.

Comment

an automatic by itself isn't the problem - trying to build an overdrive automatic to handle big torque for cheap is the problem. Unless he puts the pizza cutters on the back

Comment

Despite Patrick pointing it out earlier, it just hit me. Automatic with overdrive behind a Pontiac (BOPC)... adapter is going to add some $$$

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                            an automatic by itself isn't the problem - trying to build an overdrive automatic to handle big torque for cheap is the problem. Unless he puts the pizza cutters on the back

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                            Despite Patrick pointing it out earlier, it just hit me. Automatic with overdrive behind a Pontiac (BOPC)... adapter is going to add some $$$
                            Oh lord, how terrible... they're $35. Price a few 200r4 parts and get back to me about expensive.... I paid $400 for my working 4L80e.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...aign=CSEGOOGLE
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 22, 2021, 12:13 PM.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Oh lord, how terrible... they're $35. Price a few 200r4 parts and get back to me about expensive.... I paid $400 for my working 4L80e.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...aign=CSEGOOGLE
                              Ah, good deal! How much for your trans controller, or did you use Leviton?

Comment

Working...
                              X