Body filler and Powder Coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body filler and Powder Coating

Is there a filler that can be used on sheet metal that will with stand the powder coating process?

There is a filler that is specifically intended for use under powder, but would like to know more about what exactly you're trying to accomplish?

I believe this is the product I used, but the one I used had an orange label?

Lab-metal and Hi-Temp Lab-metal are used to patch, smooth, repair and seal items that need to be powder coated. Lab-metal will air dry in a few hours depending on air temperature, metal surface thickness and thickness of application/repair. Apply Lab-metal @ no thicker than 3/8 inch at a time.

Plus, forum member anotheridiot does powder for a living, so I expect when he stops by, he'll have more input for you.........

Comment

Originally posted by Tubbed Pacecar View Post
      There is a filler that is specifically intended for use under powder, but would like to know more about what exactly you're trying to accomplish?

I believe this is the product I used, but the one I used had an orange label?

Lab-metal and Hi-Temp Lab-metal are used to patch, smooth, repair and seal items that need to be powder coated. Lab-metal will air dry in a few hours depending on air temperature, metal surface thickness and thickness of application/repair. Apply Lab-metal @ no thicker than 3/8 inch at a time.

Plus, forum member anotheridiot does powder for a living, so I expect when he stops by, he'll have more input for you.........
      Thanks

The parts are inner fender skirts. I have welded up all the holes and hammered out the bigger dents. They might be good enough for this project but figured I would ask before proceeding to the powder coater.

Comment

I use a 3M product called scotch weld. Pain in the ass, needs to be refrigerated, then thawed to use, Gotta buy 6, comes shipped in a box of dry ice like steaks for 450.00, then baked, but its good stuff. I am normally filling holes where a vendor needs to drill thru the bottom of a part to get a thread on the inside and then needs the hole filled, or they machine an area after its welded without any chamfer and exposes the joint again and the customer will claim it leaks even though it is fully welded inside. .

Any high temperature (higher than what you will bake at) aluminum body filler will work. All McMaster currently has is https://www.mcmaster.com/74575A98/ like you can see, temp 400 degrees. You want it to be a metal filler since that is what the powder is going to electrostatically adhere to, If you are doing a big area and have trouble, just preheat the part and put a quick coat on when its hot, then the rest of the powder will adhere to that after it cools, it should gel when it hits the part. Try to paint too much when its hot you will actually end up with runs.

If you deal with Tiger or people that sell Tiger drylac, their product is called Epo Strong (93/70080). But you can probably see a high temperature devcon or loctite product will probably be cheaper.
        Last edited by anotheridiot; January 15, 2021, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
          I use a 3M product called scotch weld. Pain in the ass, needs to be refrigerated, then thawed to use, Gotta buy 6, comes shipped in a box of dry ice like steaks for 450.00, then baked, but its good stuff. I am normally filling holes where a vendor needs to drill thru the bottom of a part to get a thread on the inside and then needs the hole filled, or they machine an area after its welded without any chamfer and exposes the joint again and the customer will claim it leaks even though it is fully welded inside. .

Any high temperature (higher than what you will bake at) aluminum body filler will work. All McMaster currently has is https://www.mcmaster.com/74575A98/ like you can see, temp 400 degrees. You want it to be a metal filler since that is what the powder is going to electrostatically adhere to, If you are doing a big area and have trouble, just preheat the part and put a quick coat on when its hot, then the rest of the powder will adhere to that after it cools, it should gel when it hits the part. Try to paint too much when its hot you will actually end up with runs.

If you deal with Tiger or people that sell Tiger drylac, their product is called Epo Strong (93/70080). But you can probably see a high temperature devcon or loctite product will probably be cheaper.
          How about JB Weld - it has a 500* heat rating?

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

How about JB Weld - it has a 500* heat rating?
            I did not suggest JB weld because one of the first parts I did had work done with JB weld and it bubbled up, so I avoided it. Not to say it wont work since it has the temperature rating, or if he mixed it badly or put it on too cold. I just remember grinding it out of the work a guy did on parts he asked me to powdercoat. They have a high heat paste I might try. bit it takes 24 hours to dry. It was better than the parts a guy put bondo on, but not much better.

Comment

Working...
            X