Stacked plate coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacked plate coolers

Do stacked plate coolers have to be mounted vertically to be most efficient?
    I am contemplating using electric fans and moving them from in front of the radiator.

For the trans? If you're putting fans on them I doubt it matters much but that's a layman's guess... the only time I've given it a lot of thought was passive cooling (heatsinks) being vertical to convect air up and heat away from the source. In a moving vehicle I think it starts getting moot?
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
      For the trans?
      I tend to run 2 coolers - one for the engine and one for the trans. I currently have setrab 634's on the wagon and they seem to keep the trans ice cold and the engine oil in control. On the truck, I really don't want to stack stuff 3 deep so I am trying to figure out options.

Comment

All the factory ones I've seen tend to run fins horizontal... but, I doubt that it would make too much difference other than the possibility of having an air-lock in the cooler....
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
          Do stacked plate coolers have to be mounted vertically to be most efficient?
          I am contemplating using electric fans and moving them from in front of the radiator.
          orientation doesn't matter as long as you're not getting air pockets or blocking off air flow

Comment

OK, after a couple days of measuring and not really liking any of the truly remote locating options for either the condenser or the coolers, I decided to do this

1. The old core support (easy to sacrifice it as it was shot)

x
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1045.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	700.9 KB
ID:	1289485

2. Test modification

x

Name:	IMG_1046.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	679.4 KB
ID:	1289486

3. Prototype

x

Name:	IMG_1047.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	685.4 KB
ID:	1289487

x

Name:	IMG_1048.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	584.0 KB
ID:	1289488

Now, all I need to do is turn my pattern into the driver's side pod and then invert everything and make a passenger side pod and then cut up my brand new core support to make all this stuff fit!

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
              X