tpi won't stay running.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tpi won't stay running.

My new formula is having some teething issues after sitting for a few years. It had a short in the steering coloum that i repaired. It starts up and ran good for a few minuets, did a good burnout checking for a funcional posi. it is ;D I then shut the car off and let it sit for about 15 minuets, and tried to restart the car and nothing. It cranks over fine, has 45 lbs os fuel pressure,has spark, I am a little lost as to what to check next.
    Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Re: tpi won't stay running.

Any codes?

Comment

I would check for injector pulse with a noid light. or a simple test light.

Comment

those usually run at 33 psi , but 45 isn't too bad - if it was 70 that would be a problem
        try cleaning and unsticking the IAC valve , and the throttle plate
        then look for vacuum leaks

Comment

maybe the VATS is screwed up? or maybe some of the other power wiring? since you had to work on the column....might be something you missed?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

vats - it will run for a second , then die
            is that whats happening ?
            it could have the old broken wires off the switch

Comment

i replaced the wires to the vats at the lock. the security ligh comes off then turns off. How many rpms will the starter turn the engine over? I am only seeing between 100 and zero when trying to crank.
              Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

CAN'T FIX THE WIRES - have to change the whole lock cylinder

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                  CAN'T FIX THE WIRES - have to change the whole lock cylinder
                  the resistance value will be off..

Comment

what has to be done when I change the lock? i know how to take it apart but how do i reset the vats? or do I have to?

Comment

what year is it ? the newer one has to be relearned , but not the old ones
                      any repair makes the resistance off
                      the old ones - you change the cylinder , you start it up
                      the vats cylinder cannot be recoded

Comment

it's a 1990. I went home from work last night and it fired right up. It ran for about 5 mins then shut off and wouldn't fire up again. cranks over fine,can hear the fuel pump prime,has spark, no codes at all. I tried to start it up with the code reader plugged in and it fired up. It was running like poop and wouldn't run without keeping the pedal floored. HELP!

Comment

vacuum leak again ?

Comment

if it was a vacum leak why would it run fine when it is cold? It wouldn't start at all with out the code reader plugged in though.

Comment

sounds to me like you may have lost either your MAP sensor, or your Coolant Temp or Intake Air temp sensors.

Does you scanner show realtime info? it should show around 95-100kpa when key on, engine off. Temp sensors should both show "realistic" temps.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X