Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch issues...

Howdy, Bangshifters!

I put a brand new Ram B&B style clutch in my 69 Road Runner last year. Over the course of a few hundred miles (that's all I've driven it since the install) the distance to depress the clutch pedal for full disengagement has gone to the floor. Free travel of the clutch pedal has been adjusted to less than 1/4" and the pedal STILL has to go to the floor to disengage the clutch. I have installed a new throwout bearing, new clutch release fork and disassembled and inspected all moving parts. What could possibly be the issue? What am I overlooking?

Thanks so much,

Ron

It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Dont know much about mopars, just dealing with Muncies and T-5's here and know there are a bunch of snouts to throw out bearing differences that get proper glide where the throwout bearing might be wobbling around and not engaging right when you expect it. Dont know if any of that changed with this BB thing.

You are still using mechanical clutch not hydraulic? Either way, dont know much about ram style or where fingers are located or any of that so there is always making sure you are getting enough to begin with,

Comment

are the three fingers still exactly the same height?
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Are you using the stock mechanical linkage? My thoughts would vary if you had, say, a hydraulic unit.

Dan

Comment

Has anyone installed one of these ? Thinking of putting one in my 74,400. The specs line up perfectly. Yes I know it’s an old school set up (B & B) car is all stock and think best to keep it that way. Any opinion or in use experience appreciated. Thanks.

first google hit, something about questionable diameters?

Comment

Not a Molar Owner, past or present.
            But, I have two different vehicles with a "Clutch Cable", and yes even New Ones Fail. Never had one completely brake, but the strands break a few at a time, the cable stretches. Worst is the broken strands act like a Ratchet, and make a "Mouse Trap Clutch" out of it!!

Comment

I expect Ron is using the original mechanical linkage.

If there is flex in the linkage, for any reason, it would be acting like this. But an issue with the pressure plate is also pretty likely...and looking for different finger heights is a quick way to check that
              Last edited by squirrel; March 15, 2021, 11:17 AM.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                I expect Ron is using the original mechanical linkage.

If there is flex in the linkage, for any reason, it would be acting like this. But an issue with the pressure plate is also pretty likely...and looking for different finger heights is a quick way to check that
                Thanks, Jim. I'll look into it. I'll have to pull the transmission to measure the finger heights as I'm using a Lakewood bellhousing and block saver. And yes, it is mechanical linkage.
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

if you haven't yet, go over the linkage very carefully to make sure nothing is flexing or moving as you press the pedal.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Check the tabs, if you used plastic inserts in the shift rod holes, they might be missing..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      Check the tabs, if you used plastic inserts in the shift rod holes, they might be missing..
                      Hi Bob! Good to see you back on.

Dan

Comment

Yes , so good to have you back .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Any progress?
                          Hi Bob, good to see you.
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I found the issue immediately after I pulled the trans out of the car. One of the levers on the pressure plate had worked its way loose. I tightened up the lever to match the height of the other two and staked the thing back into place better than before. It drives PERFECLY now!

Comment

So the levers are bolted in place on the Band B clutches?

Comment

Working...
                              X