No announcement yet.

DEF chemistry questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes SBG, your 2nd paragraph is exactly the point. As a further consideration, I was sensitized to ammonia way back in HS drafting class when a blueprint machine right behind my back leaked its entire reservoir of high concentration ammonia on the floor and ran under my chair, unbenonsed to me. When I came to in the nurse's office with of course smelling salts under my nose, I was in a new jym t-shirt and had a lump on my head, irritated skin on my back and one arm, and gagging and barely able to catch my breath. To this day I gag on the smell of ammonia, which guess what, is in urine, and many cleaning fluids, and can break through the catalyst system of SCR equipped vehicles.

So on to something else I thought I would put up for everyone's consideration: the chemistry of urea based SCR (assuming I can find all the symbols needed...)

From our HS chemistry: 2NO (Nitrogen Oxide, the brown gas that kills you fast) + CO(NH2)2 (Urea's formula, see the NH2) +1/2 O2 -> 2N2 (Nitrogen in gas form) + 2 H2O +CO2.

This assumes perfect chemistry, and you know what happens when we assume something...

Notice there is water in the after part of the equation. Now with some imagination it is easy to see that if the system is off for whatever reason, that there is the potential for NH2 to get through (breakthrough). Now we have ammonia that has no place to react any more except pass out with the exhaust gases. I don't want to breath that. I can only imagine how people with asthma or COPD or other breathing issues react when getting a whiff of this. Picture standing at a city bus stop, waiting for your bus, and the one that pulls up is not operating correctly (Tell me it isn't so that city buses arn't perfectly maintained...), and you get a lungful of that!

So again going back to the original post, making your own DEF, while doable, is rife with the potential for problems, not the least of which is hugh expenses replacing a damaged cat or 3. My opinion: look for it in BJ's or whatever discount club you shop in, and save the problems. If you are intent on making your own, get the chemistry correct, use the correct ingredients (deionized water, and urea that has no other compounds) and use adequate PPE.

Comment

Ok I've been on my soapbox, I promise not to do so again!

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
        Ok I've been on my soapbox, I promise not to do so again!
        No No we learn when you are on that soapbox
        Tim
        Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

I've seen that soapbox. It's really an old milk crate.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            I've seen that soapbox. It's really an old milk crate.

Dan
            hey, if it works - we fully support it. And truly, it works, I'm lurnin' and lurnin' lots
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Just as long as you guys don't put me behind a rostrum. I hate rostrums. I have to pace around when lecturing. Or BSing as the case may be...

Comment

At my age too many docs have messed with my rostrum. Don't care for it.......

Dan

Comment

so if you worked for the EPA, you're anti-rostrum?

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    At my age too many docs have messed with my rostrum. Don't care for it.......

Dan
                    I thought a rostrum was 5 years...

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l300.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.1 KB ID:	1290964
                    Last edited by Beagle; March 29, 2021, 04:39 PM.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

I thought a rostrum was 5 years...

Click image for larger version Name:	s-l300.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.1 KB ID:	1290964
                      and now we're thoroughly derailed...

Comment

I've never been derailed! I've lived such a sheltered life...

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                          I've never been derailed! I've lived such a sheltered life...
                          You've never started in smog equipment and ended on a quote from John Wayne? indeed, that is sheltered (there are other words as well, but we'll go with yours, it's a lot nice)

it's pretty much a guarantee in here.... it's pretty much our thing... I guess...
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 29, 2021, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

You've never started in smog equipment and ended on a quote from John Wayne? indeed, that is sheltered (there are other words as well, but we'll go with yours, it's a lot nice)

it's pretty much a guarantee in here.... it's pretty much our thing... I guess...
                            We ARE good at it!

Dan

Comment

I'm just surpised none of the old timers here called me on it... that was lustrum (5 years), not rostrum (podium)... .
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                                I'm just surpised none of the old timers here called me on it... that was lustrum (5 years), not rostrum (podium)... .
                                I was waiting for someone to bring up Monica!

Comment

Working...
                                X