AC controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC controls

Has anyone seen or retrofitted the bar slider type of factory controls work with newer retrofit (entire evaporator and heater box) type air conditioning.

I was on what seems to be a daily mcmaster carr order, and got some cheap plastic gears and racks thinking I can put a gear on the supplied dial for the fan and thermostat. Pulled the cables from the old unit and the fan switch looks like a lever, with three distinct clicks, but they work with that blower resister deal so two legs are hot for medium and high. So its not like the AC wont always be on high, but do not want to short out the unit again after we bury it.

So connect a rack to the lever and a gear to the dial where you slide and it turns sounds like a plan, but probably not a good one lol.

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
    Has anyone seen or retrofitted the bar slider type of factory controls work with newer retrofit (entire evaporator and heater box) type air conditioning.

I was on what seems to be a daily mcmaster carr order, and got some cheap plastic gears and racks thinking I can put a gear on the supplied dial for the fan and thermostat. Pulled the cables from the old unit and the fan switch looks like a lever, with three distinct clicks, but they work with that blower resister deal so two legs are hot for medium and high. So its not like the AC wont always be on high, but do not want to short out the unit again after we bury it.

So connect a rack to the lever and a gear to the dial where you slide and it turns sounds like a plan, but probably not a good one lol.
    No clue if this will work for you. Vintage Air 112002-SUA. They claim it allows you to keep the OEM slide levers and operate their rotary switches.

Comment

thanks, I will look into that. The only vintage air deal I saw was the actual heater control that it stated will work with the retrofit of original type equipment. The cheaper boxes just have two pots wired to them, so I saw that as not compatable.

I had a plan, pull the fixture, add the gauges there, fuel, oil pressure, temp, make a sliding fixture where the modern radio slides out of the radio area, flips down, when it is in place, you see the cutout for the bezel with the temp, fan and line lock switches on it. We had all the gauges in the glove compartment before, but now built a shelf to house the MSD, alarm, coil, relays for fuel pump, fans etc when you pop the door open. Went thru hell building a box to connect to the 2" hose coming out of the evaporator and bought the real center vent for the top location, but putting it together kind of changed the thought process.

Comment

Working...
      X