fuel spewing from top of carb...WTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: fuel spewing from top of carb...WTF

when cold if you don't pump it at all, it will crank and crank and crank.

pumping once should set the choke - right?
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
      when cold if you don't pump it at all, it will crank and crank and crank.

pumping once should set the choke - right?
      I would assume so. Could the choke blade be closed to far, it might need to be adjusted open some.

Other than that how old is this motor, it just might be tired and when cold takes some cranking to get compression up high enough to fire, but once warmed up and parts expand it builds compression easier and fires right up. It is a possiblility.

Comment

Thanks for thinking through this with me TC - sorry to hijack the thread!

the car is 20 years old, but it only has about 82K miles on it. I'm sure it could use an overall tune up - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, timing adjustment, carb clean, new fuel filter, etc --- but it's for sale -- and we'll probably be lucky to get $1500 for it, so I don't want to put a bunch of time money and effort into it just so some one else can enjoy the fruits of my labor - especially since my wrenching time is better spent on my ranger pickup, 54, or - seths '64!

The air filter is new, I know that much, I'll pull the air cleaner lid off the next time I try to start it cold and after one pump - check the choke blade position - and see if the primarie venturi's are wet..... if they are bone dry - that means the accelerator pump took a dump - but that can be changed on the car, just have to pull the lid of the carb off ... right?

Seth drove this car home from my shop once we discovered the TH350 in his '64 wouldn't move the car more than a few hundred feet up the road.... so - maybe I'll get him to fix it! :D

Comment

Ya with that type of mileage I don't think it's a compression problem. But the accelerator pump is a good place to start. What happens if you start cranking it first then pump the accelerator.

Comment

maybe a bad primary vacuum break not opening fast enough

Comment

What about those wells in the bottom of the carb that tend to leak maybe they are leaking all the fuel
              out of the bowl after sitting for a while.

Comment

heck , they did that new
                all the peekskill police fleet had to get carbs back in 89

Comment

Sorry again for the hijack and thanks for the suggestions guys -- it's at Seths' house now - since the 'but is at my place - so I'll let him fix it.... tho he keeps avoiding the subject. ;)

Comment

Working...
                  X