Trailer brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer brakes

So I assume there is already a thread here regarding trailer brakes. What I want to know however, is what does everyone with trailer brakes think of their type, i.e. surge, electric, disc, drum, new tech from Australia (a microprocesser controlled self contained system). The only trailer brakes I am familiar with are the old surge brake systems on rental trailers. I plan to upgrade my custom built trailer this summer and will be equipping it with a new 3500 lb axle and new brakes. So what's some opinions?

electric brakes with a controller....such as a tekonsha prodigy. Works pretty well.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

what squirrel said. That said, my newest truck came with a controller from the factory...
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I my car trailer has electric drum brakes they work well, I like the controller I think it's a Prodigy P2 but I would have to verify. I have used a U-Haul car trailer once don't remember the brakes, in general I don't want to use another U-Haul car trailer.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

pretty sure the U haul car trailers have surge brakes.

How well does the factory controller work, sbg?
          My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            pretty sure the U haul car trailers have surge brakes.

How well does the factory controller work, sbg?
            it works really well, you can set how much stopping power, then the brake system modulates the amount of braking by brake pedal pressure. Best of all, it's truly ready-to-use the day you drive it off the lot.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Thanks guys. I guess I have some homework to do, mainly getting a controller and wiring it... Prodigy comes up in other posts as well, so I'll be checking it out. This might be one for the young mechanic I go to for daily driver stuff to get it all installed. I hate crawling around in, under, around new car stuff. I got a 16 Equimox with the trailer package, maybe there is wiring for brakes (fingers crossed...).

Comment

If you have the towing package there is almost certainly all the wiring in place. At least all of the cars/trucks I've had with the towing package had it. Is there a plug somewhere near the rear bumper? If it's a 4 pin then no but if it's a 7 pin round then yes. I have a generic controller that I got used and it's OK but if I did an upgrade I'd do the Prodigy. Since doing LSR I do a LOT of long-distance towing and the brakes are a lifesaver.

If you go on trailers.com they'll have electric bakes to fit your axle. They need a bit of info about the axle design and they can take it from there. To the best of my (limited) knowledge all modern axles have the necessary bolt bosses for the backing plates to mount right on.

Dan

Comment

I've used some of the more generic brake controllers, which are time based, they don't actually sense decelleration....you can feel the brakes applying. With a good controller, you don't notice that the trailer brakes are on, you just slow down like you're supposed to.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

I'm actually going to buy a new axle, rated for the full weight I originally designed the trailer's frame to. So I'll be buying the axle complete with the brakes and new springs as well as 15 inch rims/tires to go along with it. Then of course there's new larger radius fenders, plus I'm going to add a rail to each side so it will fit the Whatever... and I believe there is wiring for the brakes, so I am set there (fingers crossed). So my trailer is kind of like George Washington's axe: the head has been replaced twice and the handle three times, but it's still the same axe.

Seriously, I planned to do this years ago, but never got a round tuit. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1131.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	683.6 KB
ID:	1292669 My next door neighbor got me one 3 days ago!

Ok it's Dan's fault I'm this way

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Ok it's Dan's fault I'm this way
                      Not! You came to Ann Arbor like that.

Dan

Comment

Correction: that's etrailer.com. I've bought stuff from them and it's OK and cheap - good source for your axle & such. I should warn you that if you buy from there it's like J. C. Whitney - you get emails for life. (Who else remembers J.C. Whitney catalogs?)

Dan

Comment

Whitney's and Warshawski's same address almost. Hmmm, same warehouse you think?

Comment

yeah, JC W had two faces, same company
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

I have the NEW Motion Decting Type Controller from ETrailer,
                              There's some reading material I had to Digest to use it over my OLD controller.
                              BUT the Biggest thing about Electric Brakes, They work all the Time, Not only when the
                              Load surges forward, and Surge Brakes WILL NOT hold the Load if you stop on a INCLINE !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X