Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Z71 sticky throttle

Howdy,

Well my 99 z71, 5.3L with around 169k miles and the throttle gets sticky when its warm. I'm thinking there is carbon in the throttlebody bore and when things expand it starts sticking right off of 0% throttle. Anyone had any experience with this? Thinking of running seafoam through the PCV hose and seeing if that clears it up, if it doesn't I'll pull the TB and clean it by hand.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: 99 Z71 sticky throttle

it's metal to metal...had wife's replaced under warranty, then after a while the new one strarted sticking, I just turned in the stop screw a bit to keep it from closing all the way..that helped for a while, it's sticking again.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Could it be the throttle cable??

Comment

Had similar experience with '99 4.3 Blazer. Took it to dealership because I couldn't see the problem, they told me carbon buildup and charged me (raped me, more accurately) to clean the throttle body and return it to me.
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Brake cleaner on a rag and push the throttle blade open with your finger while you swab out the throttle bore. Not trying to be smart. This is what we used to do at the Chev dealership when I worked there. Happened on the early LS stuff. Doesn't seem to be as much on issue on the later models. Oh, and possibly as fuel injection system flush.
          Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

we were changing the throttle body on a tsb for that
            easy enough

Comment

Originally posted by cantvalve16
              Brake cleaner on a rag and push the throttle blade open with your finger while you swab out the throttle bore. Not trying to be smart. This is what we used to do at the Chev dealership when I worked there.
              Nice. > (Not at you...just pissed I paid that much for that.)
              Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Dealership service departments exist to make money....

Hey Jim, why did they replace the throttle body? is it because the throttle plate was hanging up in the bore? seems that if cleaning it would work, the tsb would have said to just clean it....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

it was on brand new trucks - clean throtle body - just was binding , if cleaning doesn't fix , change the throttle body
                  on chryslers , the have a coating that throttle body cleaners strip off with throttle body cleaners

Comment

Working...
                  X