Chevy to old Ford to GM adapterssss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy to old Ford to GM adapterssss

Ok, so here's something that's been rattling around in my head for a while now, probably 10 or more years actually. Offy and Speedway both make an adapter that bolts a small block Chevy to an old Ford V-8 transmission. And they also both make an adapter that bolts a GM pattern transmission to a 46-48 Ford flathead. They have 2 versions of the transmission adapter, one that uses the old Ford throwout arm assembly including the cross shaft (or whatever Ford called it), and one that uses a GM style throwout arm.

So here's my thought/question: will they bolt together and mate the GM transmission to the small block Chevy? Why bother you ask? Consider this: that cross shaft could be extended to the frame mounted in a spherical bearing, and then an appropriately sized pedal arm could be directly attached to it. And a sleeve could be slid over it pivoted and laterally restrained so that a brake pedal could be attached to it. thus minimizing the footprint of the pedal assembly in the drivers compartment. This could be a real room saver in my t project, the "Whatever" project.

So one other benefit possibly. If there is enough material, or if the spacing is a little short, an engine plate could be made to bolt in between the two parts that then would bolt to the frame. This would simplify engine mounting and removal as the back half of the combined adapter system would remain fixed in the car.

So am I crazy? Would it work? Has anyone tried it? I'm thinking it would only cost a bit of $$$ to try it, and I could always sell them if it doesn't work.

So any thoughts, ideas, comments, weird comments from the peanut gallery, or any other diatribes are appreciated. And yes if you want to call me names I won't be insulted... After all what's the worst that can be said about me? That I'm an engineer? Really???

Thanks...

I've wondered about doing that....it should work, eh?

I used to have the Chevy engine to Ford circular adapter, but sold it a while ago.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I know, I worry too much, but, I would be concerned about alignment issues...
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
        I know, I worry too much, but, I would be concerned about alignment issues...
        That is a concern of mine also, with manufacturing tolerances stacking up, they could all be in 1 direction. However I think it could be adjusted by indicating off the crank, after first making sure the crank to block is square. After that do 1 part at a time, Chevy to old Ford adapter. I can see having to redowel the block to get the Ford flange true for runout. out of square to the block, well a light skim cut, as long as its only 5 to 10 thou. Any more and I think that particular adapter would need to be returned. Check all that before any machining, drilling, altering just in case.

assuming that is ok, then bolt on the Ford to GM transmission adapter and repeat the process. I would pin everything with taper pins once satisfied everything is plumb and true. And if I use an engine plate between the 2 parts, that could be the perfect place to make allowances. Of course this means that this setup is not easily transferred to another engine if a lot of altering is needed. Oh well, we wouldn't build the cars we do ifit was easy...

Comment

sounds like I got off easy just machining a 1.25 thick block of aluminum to bolt the T10 to my small block.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
            sounds like I got off easy just machining a 1.25 thick block of aluminum to bolt the T10 to my small block.
            Yeah, remember what I said somewhere above: I'm an engineer and things like this prove it. Solving problems you didn't know you had, in ways you cannot understand. That's an engineer...

Comment

Working...
            X