Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone repair a side post Optima Battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone repair a side post Optima Battery?

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to fix a stripped out side post. I got all smart and figured, its just lead, I will put a helicoil in it. Drilled it, seemed like there was already a helicoil in it, by the time I was done drilling its some kind of steel of stainless plug. Fill it with solder and drill and tap it, but the solder would have to stick to this plug thats in it, not just back to lead.

Ooops.

thanks for the warning
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I bought these brass studs, 3/8-16 battery thread on one side, 3/8-24 on the other side with a nut. Well, the nut kept loosening since we had like 4 cables on it so bright idea was to use a lock nut. Guessing every time it got tightened a little more it started to eat the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
        I bought these brass studs, 3/8-16 battery thread on one side, 3/8-24 on the other side with a nut. Well, the nut kept loosening since we had like 4 cables on it so bright idea was to use a lock nut. Guessing every time it got tightened a little more it started to eat the thread.
        I hate side post types for what I do.
        most of the batteries I use are stainless posts in lead.
        What I do for regular side posts is to put a headless bolt in it and lock it down with a nut.
        I leave enough sticking out for 2 nuts and 2 cables.
        stopped stripping sideposts after that.
        I do use a wrench on the nut nearest to the battery
        I have watched guys repair standard posts by making a mold and pouring fresh lead.

Comment

yeah, this brass attachment has a hex on it to do that, I am usually lucky to find one 9/16ths wrench when working on it. Just going to go and spend the 300 on another one with top posts. From all the charging threads here, not exceeding 125 degrees, I can imagine what soldering is going to do, probably explode in my face with my dumb luck.

Comment

When I pay $50 for a walmart side post battery, it's not a big deal if there's a problem with it.

I have noticed that I have to be careful about the bolts...make sure they have complete threads, are exactly the correct length, etc. I would not put more than one cable on a side post, just because it's a kind of fragile thing. But they sure don't have the corrosion issues of top post batteries.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I would run a longer 9/16 hex head bolt that bottoms out then tighten down the nut I put on beforehand to the battery to hold the cable down . May need to remove the rubber off the battery end of the cable . I've actually started doing this on my new batteries so they don't strip .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                When I pay $50 for a walmart side post battery, it's not a big deal if there's a problem with it.

I have noticed that I have to be careful about the bolts...make sure they have complete threads, are exactly the correct length, etc. I would not put more than one cable on a side post, just because it's a kind of fragile thing. But they sure don't have the corrosion issues of top post batteries.
                how long have you been a greeter at walmart?

Comment

Working...
                X