Vintage Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Trim

No, not a cougar thread, just wondering, after replacing quarters, roof skin, we have no rivets to mount the molding clips on. Are people still using these on the old sheet metal (people call stainless, think its just aluminum) molding or are we just gluing them on now. I know new windows if you do not apply that plastic molding when you are gluing in the window you are probably SOL, so dont want to do two steps if people are just filling the cavity with goo and sticking the trim on.

Have not seen many body type questions here so just a shot.

You can buy special screws or pop rivets to replace the studs, from the folks that sell reproduction parts for that type of car.

Late 60s-early 70s, most car maker switched from using stainless, to using aluminum.
    Last edited by squirrel; July 16, 2021, 02:28 PM.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

you can buy the studs then get the attachment for your mig to spot weld them on.

Don't glue them on, eventually they'll rub a hole (due to different thermal expansion rates) where water is trapped under the molding...
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        you can buy the studs then get the attachment for your mig to spot weld them on.

Don't glue them on, eventually they'll rub a hole (due to different thermal expansion rates) where water is trapped under the molding...
        did not think of that, thanks. I ordered the screws from heartbeat city before and was not really impressed, hard to drill tiny holes, too tight with their suggested bit and the fear of slipping out and ruining paint. Should have put them in before paint. I just thought about glue with those oversized windows with modern trim they are selling now, and basically seeing ever place rust has started around windows always seems to be around the rivets.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post

did not think of that, thanks. I ordered the screws from heartbeat city before and was not really impressed, hard to drill tiny holes, too tight with their suggested bit and the fear of slipping out and ruining paint. Should have put them in before paint. I just thought about glue with those oversized windows with modern trim they are selling now, and basically seeing ever place rust has started around windows always seems to be around the rivets.
          your options are severely limited if you're doing it in fresh paint...
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
          X