Engine Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Swap

my friend has a 94 thunderbird and wants to know if he can swap his 4.6 that he has in it for same year mustang engine or newer with the same electrical system.

Re: Engine Swap

As long as the long block thinks it in the same car you are ok
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

anything is possible with time and attention

Comment

Mustangs didn't get the 4.6L engine until 1996 model year. The basic longblock is the same as the T-Bird, major differences are related to the intake and associated plumbing and linkages, etc., for the different engine compartment.

Tell him to try searching around the 4.6L forum on www.tccoa.com, there are many threads there discussing which variations of the mod motor can be swapped in to the Bird.

cheers
        Ed N.
        Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
        07 Mustang GT with some stuff
        88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

94 bird was a 5.0 based car, swapping in the 4.6 will be a pain and not worth the hassle in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommygun
            94 bird was a 5.0 based car, swapping in the 4.6 will be a pain and not worth the hassle in the end.
            Incorrect, 1994 model year was the first for the 4.6L in that chassis. 91 - 93 had the 5.0L pushrod engine.

cheers
            Ed N.
            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed
              Originally posted by Tommygun
              Incorrect, 1994 model year was the first for the 4.6L in that chassis. 91 - 93 had the 5.0L pushrod engine.

cheers
              Ed N.
              ah, I was thinking they switched the same time as the mustang in 96.

Comment

Mk VIII's had the 32V DOHC 4.6 in 93 and thats on the same MN112 platform however there are some significant differences. The aftermarket is much more for the 5.0 than it is for the 4.6 motor, I'd just build that.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

thanks, thats been alot of help. i think he plans to just wanna use the block, cuz his block is screwed but the intakes n other stuff is still good. so i think its just the block n internals, if that helps with trying to help you guys tell him what he needs to do.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
                    As long as the long block thinks it in the same car you are ok
                    That what I ment just swap everything off the old motor to the long block
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                    X