HRM article from the 60's on hopping up Ford's inline 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
    Tubing manifold is easy, making a distributor work even if it doesn't have one just takes time. Now you guys have me thinking (not a good thing) I know a guy who used to race 6 bangers. I wonder if he still has any parts, in particular he had a 6 cylinder Vertex mag. That would certainly make ignitio easy. No I won't share his name or geographic location. I want to get there first

Never considered aftermarket Harley parts. Well other than the Tillotsen HD carburetors. Thinking outside the box (again not a good thing) I wonder what the largest side draft carburetors on lawn tractor engines are. Adjustable low and main jets... 6 of them. I still have a Unisync from snowmobiling days. Hmmmm...

Probably end up with 3 1 barrel down drafts on a log manifold.

I still have to get the engine first however...
    Figure what ci the bikes are per cylinder and what they are on your motor.
    carbs basically stay same size over a range of engine sizes. I know the 750 and 1000 honda 4 bikes used the same carb. Just different jets

Comment

I know there is Krazy Intake set ups out there !!! There is even a Side Draft intake for the Suzuki Samurai engines for Off Roading Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG2237.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	1302324

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        Figure what ci the bikes are per cylinder and what they are on your motor.
        carbs basically stay same size over a range of engine sizes. I know the 750 and 1000 honda 4 bikes used the same carb. Just different jets
        Right! That's kind of why I said Harley - they're about 40 CID per jug and so is this 4.0 ... also roughly about the same kind of max RPM range and probably not far off from each other in Volumetric Efficiency. The S&S is the Holley of Harleys, plenty of them around and jets for days. Sport bike motors are a different animal, twice that RPM range easily and I wouldn't be surprised to see over 100% VE out of them at some rpm.

Of course, I say this and then check Fleabay for bike carbs and all I really find is throttle bodies. The last new bike I had with a carb was a 1999. Even my mid-line ATV is injected now. The Chinesium S&S clones are a plenty and kinda cheap though... but that's a total crapshoot. Chinese carbs are cheaper than a legitimate carb kit for your OE carb, but you can pull two carbs from the same vendor and one runs really good while the other is trash.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I'd recommend the AMC inline six - great engines and they can be a 5.0 with the right blend of OE parts (I forget the details). It's "Grand Tribal Leader" I believe though if you wish to apply tribal affiliation it's more complex.

Grab that motor.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            I'd recommend the AMC inline six - great engines and they can be a 5.0 with the right blend of OE parts (I forget the details). It's "Grand Tribal Leader" I believe though if you wish to apply tribal affiliation it's more complex.

Grab that motor.

Dan
            Hopefully I'm not too late and Chris and Jake haven't scrapped it yet. They are the same guys that gave me a bunch of engine shop machinery. I love saving things from the scrap yards.

Comment

Working...
            X