HEI Distributor 351m/400 lincoln town car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEI Distributor 351m/400 lincoln town car

I recently bought a summit racing hei distributor for my 1978 lincoln town car. I thought it was gonna be a quick and easy swap, but I don't know what wires to bypass. There is so many going to the coil, and 2 wires going to the bass of the stock distributor.

Can anyone help?

Pictures help.

You might have to take apart the wiring harness on the engine, so you can separate the ignition wiring from everything else. There will probably be two power wires connected to the original system, one for key on run (this might be blue), the other for cranking (this might be brown). You need to find something that provides power both when cranking, and when running, and you should be able to connect them both together and use this. Use a test light or volt meter to see where it gets full power under both conditions. This will be where you connect the B terminal on the new ignition.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by SketchyWolf-13 View Post
      I recently bought a summit racing hei distributor for my 1978 lincoln town car. I thought it was gonna be a quick and easy swap, but I don't know what wires to bypass. There is so many going to the coil, and 2 wires going to the bass of the stock distributor.

Can anyone help?
      the beauty of the HEI is you just get an ignition on wire to the positive, the negative side is just a tach signal. So basically, take the wires off the coil, find one that is only on when the key is on and that will fire the distributor. You can figure out where the rest of them go, seeing if they have power, or were getting the power from the key on wire, so I dont know if that stuff will work, but the dizzy will.

Comment

This is the diagram I got from my Haynes manual

Comment

the wires to the distributor go away, the transisterised whatever that is goes away. You only hook up one hot wire when the ignition is on to the HEI. I am guessing you can use that radio noise deal if you have trouble with the radio. I was just saying if they use the key on wire starting at the coil and then it ties down to other things that need power when the key is on. Sometimes that is an electric choke circuit.

Put the new distributor in, find a wire that has 12 volts when the key is on, only when the key is on, hook that up, run the plug wires and it should run. You can leave that other stuff hooked up and take it away after.

Comment

Working...
          X