Hydraulic v. Roller lifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

funny you say that, a certain cam company couldn't explain why the ramp was screwed up the cam they provided to me.... they did give me a discount on its replacement... lucky me, no?
    Did the replacement work and not go flat, or worse crack on the closing ramp?

Comment

With regards to the last post, if you race where overall lift is restricted, lofting the lifter at functional operating rpm range is one way to get competitive. It can be a little rough on the cam, as you can imagine. Get it right tho, and it can be worth a bit of hp.

Get it wrong, well let's just say it's not pretty

Comment

Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
        Thinking about it after what you've said there a a lot of variables, oil viscosity in a hydraulic, how could you measure vale lift on a hydraulic at 5000rpm. Do the cam companies take lash in a mechanical into the final lift figure.
        I've always believed, from what learned, the same cam grind in a solid will make more HP than a hydraulic grind will. The hydraulic may have more lift but the solid more HP. Also a solid RPMs better than a hydraulic.
        that s why rollers look fat along the ramp to max.. make up for it.
        technology and trial and error being in the millions of v8s.. roller is simply the winner.

there is along hill to climb sometimes... solid is like the hammer of a metal worker making anew shape, hyrdraulic goes through changes and stays alive.

I played with a boxer that shipped with all 3 designs.
        never lookng back to solid/scraping hydraulic,not even with resto modding as a goal.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Did the replacement work and not go flat, or worse crack on the closing ramp?
          the roller wore a path in the cam in less then 300 miles. roller wasn't the issue.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

the roller wore a path in the cam in less then 300 miles. roller wasn't the issue.
            Soft cam core by chance?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Soft cam core by chance?
              I still have the cam - they weren't interested in getting it back, what I figure will happen is I'll have it reground and find out then....
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
              X