Exhaust tubing lubricant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust tubing lubricant

Is there something that you can put on exhaust system slip joints to make them easier to take apart when the time comes?

Sure, a flange or a ball.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ball flange.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	1303417
      My fabulous web page

Comment

Robert (MP&C) on here is seen frequently using anti-seize / dissimilar metal lubricant on studs/nuts/bolts when welding to protect the threads, and it doesn't shrivel up or dry out from what I could tell. I'd have to wonder if it would help? Forewarned, that stuff is a nightmare and goes everywhere it is not supposed to. I'd use my crappiest t-shirt when applying it.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Antiseize is the only thing that might work...assuming the connection is not clamped. And it'll make a mess, and you need to take it apart and reapply every now and again.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Oh yeah, definitely agree. If you clamp it with a standard muffler clamp that crimps the pipes, nothing will help. Maybe those fancy band clamps (sorry for huge picture) might be helpful? These days I'd think about weld on v-bands where you want to split it, or the ball couplers Squirrel pointed out first.

Name:	R.56a310a8f9f746eca16be6e34311be20?rik=4uXMcQvUDCXsfQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.catalograck.com%2fimgvdhr%2fDYO%2f33273.jpg&ehk=wbwa2iCMCZYcj1CBZ7HZzl315qVF3bYGpq0b9MmZRa8%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1303443
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              Oh yeah, definitely agree. If you clamp it with a standard muffler clamp that crimps the pipes, nothing will help. Maybe those fancy band clamps (sorry for huge picture) might be helpful? These days I'd think about weld on v-bands where you want to split it, or the ball couplers Squirrel pointed out first.

Name:	R.56a310a8f9f746eca16be6e34311be20?rik=4uXMcQvUDCXsfQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.catalograck.com%2fimgvdhr%2fDYO%2f33273.jpg&ehk=wbwa2iCMCZYcj1CBZ7HZzl315qVF3bYGpq0b9MmZRa8%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1303443
              The entire system is band clamped together. - the exhaust gases tend to corrode the joint area and makes it hard to get the pieces apart.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

I have 3 bolt flanges on my Chevy II, at the header, and at the tail pipe where it goes over the rear axle. On drag week, I take them apart and put them back together 5 times. I expect the ball connection would be easier? I don't know, but I do know it would look wrong on the car, as it's a modern invention, and it's a traditional car.

My fabulous web page

Comment

When I was with Dad in the truck? He/mechanic would put a film of anti-seize on the exhaust when tilting the Freightliner cab. Supposed to keep from “welding” the stack, making it hard to tilt the cab for engine access

Comment

Exhaust paste... you can buy it on Amazon and I've even seen it at some Auto Parts stores... it helps, it's not perfect, but if you do slip two steel pipes together, it gives you at least a chance of getting them apart later..... the English call it exhaust lube or exhaust sealant.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                    X