Oil Cooler Flow Routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Cooler Flow Routing

It appears that the accepted routing takes the oil from the pump to the cooler to the filter and back into the engine.
    Pros - the oil is filtered just before it goes into the engine so any contaminates can be removed before it enters the engine
    Cons - should contamination get into the oil stream it could get lodged / clog the oil cooler.

Using a stacked plate style cooler - would it be acceptable to run the oil through the filter before the cooler and then back into the engine?

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    It appears that the accepted routing takes the oil from the pump to the cooler to the filter and back into the engine.
    Pros - the oil is filtered just before it goes into the engine so any contaminates can be removed before it enters the engine
    Cons - should contamination get into the oil stream it could get lodged / clog the oil cooler.

Using a stacked plate style cooler - would it be acceptable to run the oil through the filter before the cooler and then back into the engine?
    My - If you're worried about the cooler I'd put a filter ahead of the cooler but keep the engine filter after the cooler. I've always thought that if the cooler catches junk that's a good thing but it makes the cooler potentially sacrificial. With 2 filters the cooler is protected but only filtered oil can enter the engine.

Dan

Comment

I don't know if Oberg filters are still available. If so one of those in front of the cooler will keep the junk out of the cooler. A side benefit is that it unbolts for cleaning and you get to inspect the filter each time without having to cut open a filter. Good for the environment too, nothing to throw away. It's also cheaper in the long run... Did I mention I'm half Scots?

Just checked and yes you can still get them. Jegs, Summit etc.
      Last edited by dave.g.in.gansevoort; October 6, 2021, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X