Inline Six Race Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inline Six Race Exhaust

This is sort of like the X-Pipe thread, but enough different that I decided to start a new one.

The question - I have a set of headers for my 250, which I think are from Clifford. They will need a bit of fiddling to get them in the chassis, but I think I can make 'em work. They terminate in 3" collectors about 6" long. From what I've read, they need about 16-18" of collector. Is this measured from the end of the individual pipes or from the existing collector? Does the 16-18" length sound about right?. Is there any advantage to working up an X-pipe between the two collector outlets? (I'm guessing NO on the later, but thought I'd ask). There will be no exhaust (muffs, pipes) past the collector outlets.

I was planning to slightly nip the header collector to remove the flange that's there to hook up the street exhaust and just use a couple of hunks of truck exhaust pipe to extend the collectors. Any input is welcome.

Thanks
    Dan

Re: Inline Six Race Exhaust

There is a great program called pipemax that will tell you this and a whole lot more. I have it and can tell you but will need a basic outline of the motor to use it. bore, stroke, comp static, camshaft specs just like the dyno programs use it will tell you lenght of primary and collector and size tubes to use
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

There is always the old experimental way of doing it... paint the collectors and where the paint stops burning off, that's how long you need them. I have no idea why that works but its said to. As far as the measurements, its from the ends of the primaries inside the collector to the end.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC

There is a great program called pipemax

http://www.maxracesoftware.com/pipemax36xp2.htm <---

Comment

That be it. :o

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll get all my specs and get back. So far, all I know for sure is the bore and stroke and cam specs. I have the race head but have no clue as to how it impacts the ideal exhaust configuration. Just to muddy this up a bit, this is for my LSR motor, so I don't know how drag race tech fits.

I've heard of the paint trick, but I don't know if this is an old wives tale or real science. Comments?

Again, thanks
            Dan

Comment

The pipemax program is not for just drag racing, the paint is not a good indicator it has nothing to do with pulses on scavageing

Comment

Working...
              X