reuse dual mass flywheel of questionable origin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reuse dual mass flywheel of questionable origin

Britney Spears is a dirty girl with nasty surprises.... a nice surprise too, her bottom isn't bad, just a questionable hip

So here it is... dual mass flywheel is bad (3.6 vvt Cadillac CTS 6 speed for those not following on project thread)

BUT, I have another that was used and came with the trans I bought for CTS Spider. No idea the miles but it's not looking bad.... and that saves me about $550.00

worst case scenario (at least in my mind) is I have to replace it with new, later.... but I'd use all the 'good' parts

it's not a race car, it will see autox but mostly it'll be my beater with a heater (and a/c) and used for rapid transit when I don't need to drive a pickup... or loaned

so do I send it, or give the old girl some new parts and love?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Considering how often new parts have "issues", after confirming compatibility I think she needs the older, proven-reliable...mature...parts put in her.

Comment

Send it like you own it...(That's right...you do own it!)
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

took it to my shop owning friend - he says it's 'normal' so back to the original plan

Comment

I guess I have been lucky swapping to 4 or 5 speeds on small block chevy's and the flywheel is pretty cheap, at least cheap enough to not spend hours trying to find a shop or wait for it to get done.
          I know I dont follow all the rules, but my basic instinct (uncrossing my legs) is what do I have to go thru to get back where I was when I could have replaced it. I am guessing this case might come down to pulling the motor again. I know it does not really count with our projects, but I am sure its a couple to three grand bill if a mechanic did it.
          I guess you trust your guy and then decide if you ever want to see if she will really do 155.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
            I guess I have been lucky swapping to 4 or 5 speeds on small block chevy's and the flywheel is pretty cheap, at least cheap enough to not spend hours trying to find a shop or wait for it to get done.
            I know I dont follow all the rules, but my basic instinct (uncrossing my legs) is what do I have to go thru to get back where I was when I could have replaced it. I am guessing this case might come down to pulling the motor again. I know it does not really count with our projects, but I am sure its a couple to three grand bill if a mechanic did it.
            I guess you trust your guy and then decide if you ever want to see if she will really do 155.
            reusing flywheels - that I understand and have a rule set for... what I've never dealt with is dual mass, thus the questions (and answers). Ultimately this car is a taxi cab, so the cheapest fix I can possibly stand is going to be the norm. I don't know what this car weighs but my guess right now is there is no way the V6 pushes it to 155... could be surprised, but I really doubt it.

oh, fixing... even if I blew this trans to bits, it'd cost me very little because I have another.... and it's rwd, so trans swapping isn't that big of a deal
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 1, 2021, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I reused a very questionable dual mass flywheel on an Escape hoping it would last 6 months. Two owners and 130k later the trucklet got totalled, same flywheel. YMMV
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                I reused a very questionable dual mass flywheel on an Escape hoping it would last 6 months. Two owners and 130k later the trucklet got totalled, same flywheel. YMMV
                well, if it survived you then I should be good.

Comment

Son driving sister’s CTS.. 20-90-20-90-20 in a short stretch. Good power, good brakes. Auto trans Either auto or manual hitting 155? might get close.
                  I do know the higher you go the slower it climbs

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    Son driving sister’s CTS.. 20-90-20-90-20 in a short stretch. Good power, good brakes. Auto trans Either auto or manual hitting 155? might get close.
                    I do know the higher you go the slower it climbs
                    no way. same hp in a better aero car (IROC Camaro) with less weight could manage 145. This car weighs at least 500 lbs more (probably more like 1500), same hp, way worse aero.... not a chance

Comment

Well, that was just me at least googling if the car was FWD, I saw an AWD version, which is uglier than just pulling a RWD trans, so my fingers decided to type about the cost to replace it in labor. The 155 was there on the sites I clicked to check on the car so apparently it was a selling point for the ve-hickle.

Sometimes the tech section is so dead I am just happy to think I can get involved.
                      Last edited by anotheridiot; December 2, 2021, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
                        Well, that was just me at least googling if the car was FWD, I saw an AWD version, which is uglier than just pulling a RWD trans, so my fingers decided to type about the cost to replace it in labor. The 155 was there on the sites I clicked to check on the car so apparently it was a selling point for the ve-hickle.

Sometimes the tech section is so dead I am just happy to think I can get involved.
                        after the dark 90s of GM fwd and killing the Camaro AND S10, the CTS was the first ray of hope for those who bleed GM blue.

Comment

Weight has little to do with top speed. Aero and HP if they do 155 I would bet you would need at least 2 miles if not 3 to achieve it.

Rule of thumb 300HP car will run 150 in the mile.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

drag coefficient 0.347 IROC Camaro, 0.360 CTS-V .... the CTS has less hp then an IROC - which had a top speed of 148... to sum up, weighs more, worse aero, less hp.

with all that said, if the upcoming track day is done with the Cadillac, I'll give it the old college try to find its speed limit.. bet it is no more then 125.
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 18, 2022, 12:07 AM.

Comment

All I could say is have somebody you trust to surface it - and use it. Notice I did not say "send It" I also had found one of these for my kid a few years and it's still going OK. IMO thrash the crap our of it and have fun! Flog it like it owes you money haha. Have fun
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X