TopLoader Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopLoader Transmission

I have a wide ratio toploader (C8AZ-7006-D RUG J2) that seems to have been raised by a Triumph 250 as it likes to drip.

I can not tell where it is coming from as the windage seems to coat the entire transmission.
    I have pulled the bell housing cover and the input shaft sleeve, throw out bearing & fork, pressure plate, flywheel and rear main seal look dry.
    The top cover bolts "seem" tight but it isn't really east to check them with the transmission still in the car.

Are there any common problems with oil leaks on these transmissions?

I had a toploader in a FJ40 land cruiser (with a 302), it was constantly leaking from the input seal. I never did get it sealed, I did get the flow stemmed enough to sell it, but it marked its territory well.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My thought is check the tranny vent.it might be stuck open,
      OR.... also, see if it finds a "Happy Level Spot".on the trans. Have had several cases, like the C6 on the Shaggin Wagon, you fill it to the dipstick Mark, it would start leaking out the vent. Let it go until it stopped, punched marked the "Long Dip Stick" and no more leaks, and it's running fine.
      on a manual transmission, using as a dipstick, anywhere on a Allen Wrench in the fill hole should be calling it good.

Comment

I rebuilt (bearings, synchros, etc) the Toploader in my bros Mustang ('73 351C powered) and didn't have leak issues. So I got nothin'..... Sorry.

Dan

Comment

If you do pull it, make sure you check the end play of the input shaft. Might actually be a pilot bushing problem having the shaft wobbling around and leaking. Its also the main reason you get the trans popping out of gear under loads. Other than that the vent would only leak if its overfilled and even the shifter cover should not have much fluid there, but the one we got to rebuild was sillyconed beyond recognition.

Comment

well, it does appear to be leaking in the front. The mating surface between the transmission and the bell housing appears to have fresh fluid coming out. It isn't a big leak as the clutch stuff all seems reasonably dry. It isn't leaking bad enough to pull it but that might change after our upcoming road trip.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
            X