No announcement yet.

Clear coating Aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that is terrible with all the work and money you spent on them. I wouldn't have thought this would happen after mine worked but then I guess the parts would make a difference. Not that it will make it any better but they would look good on a Rat Rod. Good luck on your next adventure at coating wheels guess I was lucky with mine.

Comment

Had a guy in here doing core sampling, wanted me to do his Infinity wheels. chrome is peeling off of them. I said, take the best wheel, sand and grind it down and I will repaint it for free, just so I dont have to do the polishing. After you do the best one, then figure how long it will take you to do the worst one. At that point, you will do what I told you to do and order new rims when you order tires. I thought infinity was top of the line, but pitted, smutty, black cast aluminum under that peeling chrome.

This thread was completely different with nice billet parts, but so much happens when they use pot metal for wheels.

Comment

Can’t say you didn’t give an old college try and never know what type it is!

Comment

Originally posted by stroker al View Post
          Can’t say you didn’t give an old college try and never know what type it is!
          its so tough to see unless you start with a really damaged rim you would not want to buy anyway. Got the vette aluminum rally wheels, welded an adapter plate to a shaft for the biggest collet I had and spun those on a mill. polished real nice, but was going for more of the brushed grain look to those, Did not go full look like gray paint, but not crystal clear like the powder box said either. We would have just done the metal flake with powder in the center on those z wheels, polished and sprayed them clear if we kept the theme. ITs the scary part of buying US Mag wheels, to have them shipped in a made in china box. They have a clear coat on them, most likely some kind of E coat since there is very little change. Really do not know how long that will last.

I mean, we had real magnesium wheels on our nostalgia dragster and hours of polishing gets wiped out overnight on those things.

Comment

maybe we can meet on HRPT, good luck on next project!

Comment

Working...
            X