Your opinions on Centerforce Clutch with Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinions on Centerforce Clutch with Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel

After 14 years, ~ 60,000 miles and the abuse of two Power Tours, the ?bird is in need of a new clutch.

I am thinking of going with a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch p/n DF039020 and Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel p/n 198581. Engine/tranny is ?95 LT1 & T-56. What do you know about these parts?

Much Obliged
    a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Re: Your opinions on Centerforce Clutch with Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel

Do you have an aluminum flywheel now? Which pressure plate are you looking at and why mix and match, I've had better luck over the years with a matched ste of clutch components from the same manufacturer and that said mostly in recent years with McLeod, specifically a Street Twin which is what I run with the T56 when its in the car. I plan to try the aluminum flywheel next time around to reduce the overall mass a bit.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

keep that great GM feeling with genuine GM parts ........

Comment

I like the Centerforce dual friction but not so much the aluminum flywheel. Only application I can see the aluminum flywheel is road race type stuff -- stopping and starting (drivability) suffers with the aluminum flywheel.

Comment

Gents, thanks for the feedback

Centerforce/Fidenza is the recommendation of ?my shop? where I have had much work previously done. I told them I wanted a good street/strip combination; the ?bird is NOT my daily driver. Specific to the Fidanza aluminum flywheel is that the lighter weight is a ?free? horsepower upgrade and that they are made with replaceable friction surface plates so there is no need to replace the entire flywheel when the clutch or flywheel is at the end of it's life.

Bill - I'm currently on the stock clutch/flywheel which is not aluminum. The Centerforce p/n is a complete kit including pressure plate but no flywheel.

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

heavy car+stick, I'd think you'd want the spin'n weight for out of the hole..
            next silly question..
            did the lt use the flywheel to balance the engine??

Comment

I'll be another to vote against the aluminum flywheel for a mostly street driven car, SCCA? sure - street....
              not so much....
              h
              however - i've never run a fidanza with replaceable friction surfaces either.

There's a whole other arguement about the advantages of a heavier flywheel and the momentum of it being an advantage when launching a car on the strip.....
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by MentalMuffinMan
                heavy car+stick, I'd think you'd want the spin'n weight for out of the hole..
                next silly question..
                did the lt use the flywheel to balance the engine??
                X2. You don't want the lightweight flywheel for drag racing. You want to keep the momentum up for shifting. Lightweight flywheels lose engine speed very quickly.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

the honda kid just installed a 6 lb fidanza in his civic , picked up a tenth

Comment

Back to old school. As you junkies pointed out: (1) 99% street car, occasional drags; (2) heavy car with mild motor & (3) what do I know about finessing a clutch to keep the revs in the sweet spot.

Now looking at steel/billet steel f/wheels

Comment

a nice ram setup from a pro stocker

Comment

I went with a spec clutch and aluminum fly wheel on the mustang, stay with the stock type flywheel, light one sucks in town

Comment

Picked up car tonight - shop was challenged by noise between starter & flywheel. Stock setup doesn't have shims but replacement flywheels require them

Shop installed RAM HD/HDX Muscle car clutch kit and Centerforce steel billet flywheel.

By the looks of the clutch/PP/flywheel/pilot bearing that came off (stock after ~ 58,000 miles), I was living on borrowed time.

I will let y'all know if there are any problems down the road..........thanks for your comments 8)

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                            I'll be another to vote against the aluminum flywheel for a mostly street driven car, SCCA? sure - street....
                            not so much....

however - i've never run a fidanza with replaceable friction surfaces either.

There's a whole other arguement about the advantages of a heavier flywheel and the momentum of it being an advantage when launching a car on the strip.....
                            David Vizard covered this topic. Same car was used to keep things as consistent as possible. The heavy flywheel got the car out of the hole quicker but the light flywheel more then made up after that and ran quicker 1/4 time. The lighter flywheel require less HP to accelerate after each shift.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Coincidence? I think not *G*
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                              X