Damaged bolt removal tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged bolt removal tools

We had to get into the transmission, 4L80E we bought rebuilt after we tried to rebuild ours and it did not work out. Should have known when we dropped the pan that the putz used an impact to tighten the pan bolts, but absolutely no luck getting the torx head bolts out of the shift solenoids. There is really no room to do the hammer a punch around. Anyone use some extraction tool that actually works with just a ratchet? Otherwise its going to be pulling the valve body and hunting for shift balls time.
    Last edited by anotheridiot; August 7, 2022, 08:56 AM.

if theres room, ive successfully gotten out really stuck bolts by
    cutting a slot with a dremmel then using an impact screwdriver.

ive also welded a nut to top and used a ratchet that way.

if the bolts are reccessed, maybe drill heads off, remove
    valvebody, then try getting out remaining stubs with
    vice grips?

good luck, stuck fasteners are the bane of my existance...

Comment

I like the weld nut approach, but hard allen in an aluminum valve body, I will have to see. I know the best part of that is the heat that is involved helping to get it loose.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
        We had to get into the transmission, 4L80E we bought rebuilt after we tried to rebuild ours and it did not work out. Should have known when we dropped the pan that the putz used an impact to tighten the pan bolts, but absolutely no luck getting the torx head bolts out of the shift solenoids. There is really no room to do the hammer a punch around. Anyone use some extraction tool that actually works with just a ratchet? Otherwise its going to be pulling the valve body and hunting for shift balls time.
        https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8...000NPPATS?th=1 Using this was my savior when working on motorcycles back in the day.... the question would be as to whether you have the 1/4" hex bit for the appropriate size torx, or, I'v managed to use odd sized allen wrenches to get eounded torx loose.....
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8...000NPPATS?th=1 Using this was my savior when working on motorcycles back in the day.... the question would be as to whether you have the 1/4" hex bit for the appropriate size torx, or, I'v managed to use odd sized allen wrenches to get eounded torx loose.....
          no, the torx just spins, its a Wanted I got what looked like screw extractors on hex bits I thought would work but did not. Got a hex head removal tool from there too, just seemed like bent allen wrenches since sometimes a hex will bite in a torx, nothing. ITs just kind of hovering around 25 if your foot is off the gas, seems like its slipping and overdrive seems confused after I towed 400 miles over hills and downpours. All I noticed was I started going up a hill and watch the oil pressure jump to 80, but did not tie that to the trans slipping.

It turns out I bent up the metal plate between the valve body and case to get the plug for the filter out. The parking pawl was hanging up and ticking, so still could not get to that right and just bent it down as best I could.

Maybe if we pull it we will heat tig a nut onto it, but cant be down long right now and cant afford to ruin it by trying.

Comment

id say if any of the "4LwhateverE" trannys start slipping/hunting in O/D,
            they are toast. time to rebuild, get another, or the cure-all is go old school
            th350 or th400. yes, no O/D, but worth it as no more problems.....

never ever tow in O/D with any automatic trans with O/D, by the way.
            100% chance that will kill it shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
              id say if any of the "4LwhateverE" trannys start slipping/hunting in O/D,
              they are toast. time to rebuild, get another, or the cure-all is go old school
              th350 or th400. yes, no O/D, but worth it as no more problems.....

never ever tow in O/D with any automatic trans with O/D, by the way.
              100% chance that will kill it shortly.
              Once, just once I would prefer to learn these things before I wreck my stuff.

Same deal with the tires. Had some Firestones that never let me down. But as I walked around the van, I see an indentation each 1/4 way around the tires. See a little dry rot so I get the new set. Go have them installed, the guy says you need 100 pounds in the back, you did not have them filled enough so this happened and you ruined the tires.

Put the new goodyears on, put the 100 pounds in the back, same indents every 1/4 way around already.

Comment

Working...
              X