No announcement yet.

Trailer wiring for new Blazer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Received the Curt wireless brake controller yesterday and set it up this morning. Scanned the code thingie on the supplied documentation to download the app that runs it. Easy peasy, and I usually don't get along with electronical gizmos. It took about 6 real steps, which were well defined. My first trip with the trailer was empty just in case I screwed something up, either mechanically or electronically. And I just drove around the neighborhood.

I had set up the first settings for an empty trailer, using about 50 percent of the available braking capacity so as to not lock up the brakes. Then as recommended I used the app to engage the trailer brakes separately. I could feel the Blazer slowing down and no brake lockup on the trailer.

Next stopping normally it seemed to work as promised, without any joggling of the trailer on the hitch. These first runs were below 35 mph. So feeling confident that the system was working, it was time to get out on the highway. I got out on rt 9 where the speed limit is 55, and got up to speed. Again I used the app to engage the trailer brakes separately and as before, the brakes slowed the combination smoothly with no lockups. Back to 55, and normal braking, again smoothly slowing the Blazer and trailer without any joggling of the trailer on the hitch evident. Drove around for quite a while at various speeds and slowing down and stopping frequently on the way back home, no problem no lockups. I'm pleased with how good the device functions.

The only bad thing I have to say about it is the rubber strap supplied by Curt intended to ensure that the device stays plugged in the tow vehicle's plug might as well not be supplied. It broke just trying to use it the 1st time. I had a small elastic cord that I used instead. But I expected this. Most of the reviews I read had the same comments, with just about everyone using else to tie the device in.

So first time use, I think it's going to function as promised by the manufacturer, with the only problem being that strap.

And no hassles with wiring, warranty issues, programming... I'll keep you posted on the long-term functionality and keep notes whenever I use it.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
      Received the Curt wireless brake controller yesterday and set it up this morning. Scanned the code thingie on the supplied documentation to download the app that runs it. Easy peasy, and I usually don't get along with electronical gizmos. It took about 6 real steps, which were well defined. My first trip with the trailer was empty just in case I screwed something up, either mechanically or electronically. And I just drove around the neighborhood.

I had set up the first settings for an empty trailer, using about 50 percent of the available braking capacity so as to not lock up the brakes. Then as recommended I used the app to engage the trailer brakes separately. I could feel the Blazer slowing down and no brake lockup on the trailer.

Next stopping normally it seemed to work as promised, without any joggling of the trailer on the hitch. These first runs were below 35 mph. So feeling confident that the system was working, it was time to get out on the highway. I got out on rt 9 where the speed limit is 55, and got up to speed. Again I used the app to engage the trailer brakes separately and as before, the brakes slowed the combination smoothly with no lockups. Back to 55, and normal braking, again smoothly slowing the Blazer and trailer without any joggling of the trailer on the hitch evident. Drove around for quite a while at various speeds and slowing down and stopping frequently on the way back home, no problem no lockups. I'm pleased with how good the device functions.

The only bad thing I have to say about it is the rubber strap supplied by Curt intended to ensure that the device stays plugged in the tow vehicle's plug might as well not be supplied. It broke just trying to use it the 1st time. I had a small elastic cord that I used instead. But I expected this. Most of the reviews I read had the same comments, with just about everyone using else to tie the device in.

So first time use, I think it's going to function as promised by the manufacturer, with the only problem being that strap.

And no hassles with wiring, warranty issues, programming... I'll keep you posted on the long-term functionality and keep notes whenever I use it.
      Sounds like a "Good Thing" to quote a Jailbird.

Comment

It really was easy to set up and so far seems to operate as promised. Other than the rubber strap supplied with it, everything is what it was touted to be.

And you know me, the troglodytic luddite or is that the ludditic troglodyte, a person whom eschews technology much beyond the stone axe, if it works for me, it's got to be easy.

Comment

Just an update. The Curt wireless brake controller so far is working as promised. It connects to the cell phone easily. I have it set for an empty trailer on program 1, which gives it a max of 60 percent brake effort. You can feel the brakes retarding the combination when activated manually. The trailer doesn't jerk back and forth when making a stop.

The only downside is the retaining strap supplied with it. It broke just trying to get it on the 1st time. I substituted a small bungee cord and it's working okay. Next time I'm at the hardware store I'll get a Velcro strap. And I need to find 1 of the 3 tubes of dielectric grease hiding in the garage and apply it to all of the connectors. And Neverseez the hitch.

Today the trailer passed inspection without any problems, so the next time out will be to get the 327 to the engine shop. No greasy old blocks in the back of the new Blazer!

Comment

Working...
          X