Rant thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant thread

Did not just want to start another mundane thread that goes nowhere, but common issues that we need to vent about deserve a home too.

This weeks issue, balance shafts. We have been fighting an ecotec 2.4 that I thought we could just do a timing chain job on, but end up with bent valves, even though I was told it went turning into a parking lot. I assumed a highway chain break would cause more damage. Either way, we did the chain job last month, then found out we had no compression in 3 and low in 2. So we had to make a hole, finish two more projects on the camaro to get it by the lift to get it out of the trailer and in the shop.

Pull the head, forgot to order a "little person" to handle the retainers, but found one of the tools in my new pick set was magnetic, so it was a balancing act. So, now the head is off, swap the water pump, it runs on the inside chain with these "balance" shafts and was seriously in a terrible place with the head on in the trailer where we started the job..

Now if you are not familiar, a balance shaft are two unbalanced shafts rotating opposite of eachother so the motor stays balanced. When you rotate this motor, you have all 4 pistons even in the middle of their strokes, then 2 and 3 go to TDC while 1 and 4 go to BDC.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't that sound like balance?

Apparently its a thing to delete these balance shafts with a kit and these little motors are supposed to easily go to 7000 rpm's IF THEY ARE NOT INTERFERRING!!!!!!!

What I learned so far, is you cannot check your work per the manufacturer of the kit Cloyes. You get 1 to TDC, line up the marks and put it all back together. You should not rotate the engine by hand, like we always like to do to verify the marks go back where they belong. Put the inner chain on, set all the tensioners, rotate by hand and the balance shafts end up a tooth off, which is going to make these create a vibration. Somehow, allowing a starter motor to rotate this what, 100 times faster keeps it in time. So I guess if you dont see the movement, you are not supposed to worry about it.

Second, when you buy 8 retainers from Rock auto, you get 8 packs of 8 retainers to do one cylinder. So my get some extras because I know I am going to lose some of these little buggers means get 1. Mind you, one bag only had 2 sets, but it was still 4 not 1.

The rest of it, valves, springs, rockers, what they call lifters which are more like return springs for the rockers are inexpensive enough to just change. The ones I thought were good moved, the ones on the bent valves were stuck, all the new ones come in stuck.

So this is what I get when we get a 2013 because they get 22 mpg city and the kids hate buying gas more than I do.

Have I gotten to why the hell cant we get a torque reading without the degrees after?

Seriously, 22 foot pounds (for apes like me is hard to find since I am almost there with my 3/8 ratchet) then 155 degrees. Why not 40 plus 60 degrees?

Comment

And that requires another tool. Not that I'm against acquiring tools, but an angle gauge? Really? I feel your pain...

Comment

Working...
      X