X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: K&N Air Filters........

Originally posted by chevy3100
    Micron = unit of measurement commonly used for particle sizes

From your reasoning (they don't measure them in microns or it would be on the box) TC they are not concerned with getting filtration of 1/4" particles becasue "they don't note it on the box".

Regardless, all filter media (any application) is tested in MICRONS for filtering ability - manufacturers don't always disclose this info but it is the easiest measurement to use for determining the size of particle that can be filtered.

Normally this gets rated along the lines of 100% removal of all particles 3 microns and larger, 98% removal of particles 2 microns. (this is not for an auto spec, but a Turbine generator fuel separation spec)

I'm not saying which filters work best - I don't have enough experience to determine that - but saying the filtration elements are not measured in Microns is ignorant at best.
    Maybe you should go to some of the filter companies websites and see what they have to say, before opening your mouth.

Here I'll make it easy on you.

21. What is the micron rating and efficiency of a K&N air filter?

Air filters are not measured by micron size. As an industry standard, air filters are tested in accordance with the ISO 5011 test protocol to measure capacity (the physical amount of dust a filter can hold before cleaning is necessary) and efficiency (the filter's ability to trap and hold dust). See technical service bulletin 89-5R from the Filter Manufacturer's Council. The dust selected for the test contains a specified distribution of different particle sizes according to ISO standards.

Our testing has demonstrated that on average, K&N replacement air filters and air intake systems have a cumulative or Full Life filtration efficiency of between 96 and 99%. Different filters test at different efficiencies due to changes in their shape, surface area and relationship to the direction of air flow through the factory air box or test housing. Like most air filters available in the USA, our filters will provide all the engine protection you need.
    Factory direct K&N replacement air filters, air intakes, oil filters & cabin filters. KNFilters.com - the official site for performance filtration products.

And here is actually test data of a ISO 5011 test. If you look through all the test data, charts and writing you will see they make no reference to "Microns".

Basically air filters are tested for the "capacity" of dirt they can hold.

Comment

TC, did you not read either of those links??

It looks to me like K&N is at the bottom of the heap in filtration while offering *slightly* better airflow (at more vacuum than they'll see on an engine) "initially" even though their dust loading to maximum vacuum happens in about half the time of the average competitor.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
        And here is actually test data of a ISO 5011 test. If you look through all the test data, charts and writing you will see they make no reference to "Microns".

Basically air filters are tested for the "capacity" of dirt they can hold.
        There's some good info in the ISO test you've referenced relative to K&N filter performance. Here's a quote from the linked article:

"Compared to the AC, the K&N ?plugged up? nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt."

I had seen some similar test results a while back which got me to ditch my K&Ns.

The test I think the auto business uses for a standard is the SAE HS806, which measures capacity and efficiency. The efficiency calculation is the percentage of particles of a given size that are stopped by the filter, and size is measured in microns.

One thing to be careful about when looking at test results is some of the companies have more than 1 type of filter, so you have to pay attention to specific part numbers when making comparisons.
        Tampa, FL

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
          TC, did you not read either of those links??

It looks to me like K&N is at the bottom of the heap in filtration while offering *slightly* better airflow (at more vacuum than they'll see on an engine) "initially" even though their dust loading to maximum vacuum happens in about half the time of the average competitor.

Yap sometimes I have to admit I was wrong, that's why I posted it. ;)

Comment

TESTED ON A DYNO OR A FLOW BENCH OR WITH A STRAW ?

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
              TESTED ON A DYNO OR A FLOW BENCH OR WITH A STRAW ?
              My ex-old lady, that bitch could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch. ;)

Comment

you sick basterds and your spoofin filtration test. filterd or not, that is just SICK

Comment

Micron = unit of measurement commonly used for particle sizes

From your reasoning (they don't measure them in microns or it would be on the box) TC they are not concerned with getting filtration of 1/4" particles becasue "they don't note it on the box".

Regardless, all filter media (any application) is tested in MICRONS for filtering ability - manufacturers don't always disclose this info but it is the easiest measurement to use for determining the size of particle that can be filtered.

Normally this gets rated along the lines of 100% removal of all particles 3 microns and larger, 98% removal of particles 2 microns. (this is not for an auto spec, but a Turbine generator fuel separation spec)

I'm not saying which filters work best - I don't have enough experience to determine that - but saying the filtration elements are not measured in Microns is ignorant at best.

Maybe you should go to some of the filter companies websites and see what they have to say, before opening your mouth.

Here I'll make it easy on you.

Maybe TC learn to read - note how MICRONS are noted for the particle composition of the dust through the filter - I know as far as you are concerned MICRONS is just a made up word........

I know I know, you'll argue to the death that you are right (I like the "admitting your wrong" by posting a link showing you are wrong - you wouldn't actually type it out.....)

I give up, it's not worth the time.....

Comment

Working...
                  X