Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooker Headers

Anybody ever buy these?

Free Shipping - Hooker Competition Headers with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Headers at Summit Racing.

I currently have the uncoated version for my car. I am looking to pretty up the engine compartment when I get the car back on the road. But, don't know anything about ceramic coated headers. Anyone have any cautionary pointers for me.

Re: Hooker Headers

why not send yours out to be coated?

Comment

If yours are in good condition send them out to be coated would probably be a better way to go. They generally don't spend any more than they have to coating them at the factory-it's pretty minimal.

I have those on my Biscayne and had to dimple a couple spots for spark plug clearance. It's nice to be able to do that stuff before they're coated rather than doing it after and cracking the coating.

Comment

The collectors are looking kind of rough from scrapage and I don't know of anyone that does it locally. Got information from jett-hott once and it costs more than the headers I am looking at.

If there is a company that can coat mine for cheaper that a new set I am all ears. I just don't know of the resource.

Comment

air born is better than jet hot

Comment

they did my trans am headers when they were in e hartford , drove em up myself

Comment

HPC did the headers on my 86 blazer
              they were pricey

Comment

I have the small block version of those headers, and I like them. All you need to do to clean them is give them a good wipe down and they shine right up. On my headers the left pipe hangs a lot lower than the right ( my friend has the same headers and same problem). I got my exhaust done after installing them so it wasn't a big deal. I think they were just trying to make them to universal to fit other cars with clearance problems.

Comment

I have the supercomp version of those Hookers and the coating is OK, but I've heard Jet Hot and other coatings are a bit more durable. If you don't keep them clean and wiped down, the coating can get some blemishes and loose its shine. Mine looked great until I started playing with the nitrous button, and now the shine is somewhat gone.

The most important thing with coated headers is to not use a brand new set on a motor that is getting broken in on a flat tappet cam. The higher rpms needed for break-in will take the shine off the coating pretty quickly. There's a process for breaking them in to make the coating last longer. I'm not sure if this is the case with Jet Hot or other coatings, but it is the case for the Hooker coating.

If I didn't have ants-in-my-pants to finish things, I would've gotten a set uncoated and researched around for the best coating company. If your headers are working fine and just look bad, they can probably be cleaned and would look like new once coated.
                  Tampa, FL

Comment

I purchased me Hooker Comp headers directly
                    from Jet Hot.

I like the finish and the look, you can polish the much like aluminum.

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

abuse kills the shine , glowing heades from lean-ness

Comment

Coating or re-coating used headers will never get the results of new headres and new coating. I've done all three. I also found that Jet-Hot lasted longer and kept its shine and finish longer than a locally applied generic version. I have not tried the other brands. The Jet Hot was 2X price wise so there is a get what you pay for element in this stuff like all things high performance.

I'd buy new and sell the old ones if the $$$ work out.
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I gave my K5 blazer hooker super comps away my pal eddie gave me 400 bucks for the roller motor 350 - the hookers were pretty ugly when the blazer got retired at 400,000 + miles
                          only had 3 motors and 6 transmissions
                          7004r is just not a good tow truck trans
                          I painted the exhaust system with vht , that never lasts

Comment

We had HPC do the fenderwell Hedmans on our Valiant. They looked great for 2 seasons and then the rust started peeking through just before Laura sold the car.
                            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Have a look through this old thread (not about coatings but about paint):

Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Working...
                              X