Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery drains while sitting...problem found?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery drains while sitting...problem found?

The battery in the Fury will normaly drain over night from a full charge...since I changed the carb from electric choke to manual, I will hold a charge..odd IMO, anyone think that a bad electrick choke could pull on the battery enough to kill it overnight?

thoughts?
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Re: Battery drains while sitting...problem found?

If it was the electric choke it completely depends how it's wired in if it's draining the battery when off. The electric choke should not have any power with the key off.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

yeah, wrong wiring would do that!
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
        If it was the electric choke it completely depends how it's wired in if it's draining the battery when off. The electric choke should not have any power with the key off.
        Exactly what Randal said, the choke shouldn't have power to it with the ignition off. Seems like you might have found your problem. Or at least one of them, lets see if it holds a charge for two days. ;)

Comment

it held lasgt night...fired right up, no problems, going to trace the wires back and see where the PO had this crap wired from.
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

good diag
            if the choke was powered up all the time , it must have never closed

I was working on a 59 olds with a carter , they installed a reman with the stock heatstove choke and it was clogged up with 40 years of debris , no heat was getting to it and the choke wasn't opening
            I installed a napa electric choke , when I told the genius that I worked for why , he was dumbfounded
            he thought the heat closed the choke
            totally opposite from the way it works
            this guy fancied himself a restoration expert and could not tell you how a choke worked OMG !!

Comment

Yup, that was it, I checked the wire that was going to the choke and it is powerd without the ignition on...took me 3 years to figure that out...checked every gound in the car and all were good, even redid a buch of bad wires with the thought that they could be casusing the problem....I think the PO was clueless...

Comment

Well, now your good to go.

Comment

I used to have a 94 Taurus that my oldest took to college. It would discharge if it sat more than three days or so. Ended up being change in the ash tray had gone into the cigarette lighter socket. The lighter has a circuit breaker. It would open and reset until there was no juice left.

Comment

on 03-06 k trucks - the power seat switch would stick
                    it would draw 5 amps until the circuit breaker would trip , then go to zero , then cool off and go to 5 amps again
                    the new service manager brought in a new hot shot from another failed chev dealer to teach me and my attitude a lesson
                    he got one towed in , fixed it with a battery , towed in dead again , fixed it with an alternator , got towed in dead the third time , hot shot getting paid more money than me comes over begging
                    schooled him in the use of the milliamps scale of the fluke 87 , and proceeded to move the passenger side power seat switch back 0.005" backwards , car fixed - egg on hot shot's face
                    I had the same problem on my dealer principles new dump truck a week before , but parasitic draws is just one of them things that drive a person crazy , but with punch flags is quite profitable

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                      on 03-06 k trucks - the power seat switch would stick
                      it would draw 5 amps until the circuit breaker would trip , then go to zero , then cool off and go to 5 amps again
                      the new service manager brought in a new hot shot from another failed chev dealer to teach me and my attitude a lesson
                      he got one towed in , fixed it with a battery , towed in dead again , fixed it with an alternator , got towed in dead the third time , hot shot getting paid more money than me comes over begging
                      schooled him in the use of the milliamps scale of the fluke 87 , and proceeded to move the passenger side power seat switch back 0.005" backwards , car fixed - egg on hot shot's face
                      I had the same problem on my dealer principles new dump truck a week before , but parasitic draws is just one of them things that drive a person crazy , but with punch flags is quite profitable
                      Every word is true...

Comment

Working...
                      X