Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lower air dam good for around town mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower air dam good for around town mileage?

I know that air dams are good for high speed stability and aerodynamics, but do they have any effect on.... say.... my daily around town driven 454 4wd '97 Chevy? Just thinking about different ways to improve mileage. This truck doesn't have any air dam at all. Just the tow hooks stickin' out.
    Bakersfield, CA.

Re: Lower air dam good for around town mileage?

Keith might have better input, but my answer is "I don't think so". You have to be going fast enough that it matters if you invite the air out of the way. Wind resistance increases at roughly the square of wheel speed and therefore DECREASES at the same rate. If I understand it correctly, most of those little factory spoilers are there to shovel air thru the radiator. John (Milner) may have some good input on this too, as he does this stuff for a living.

Dan

Comment

Air dam or not, it's still going to be like driving a wall through the air.

Comment

put a valve spring under the gas pedal. It'll be real hard to mash down on it, should get you at least one mpg
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
          put a valve spring under the gas pedal. It'll be real hard to mash down on it, should get you at least one mpg

LOL. I baby this thing 99% of the time. Guess I would have to make major changes to do better than the 9-10 mpg this thing pulls down.
          Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
          Air dam or not, it's still going to be like driving a wall through the air.
          And I understand that. Just trying to do the best I can with what I have.
          Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

run at max tire pressure, put a K&N (or similar) filter on it..... short of pissing off truckers (drafting), those seem to be the only effective ways of helping the mileage.... but, 9-10 sounds pretty low my old 91 454 4x4 got 11 city and 13 highway....
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
              run at max tire pressure, put a K&N (or similar) filter on it..... short of pissing off truckers (drafting), those seem to be the only effective ways of helping the mileage.... but, 9-10 sounds pretty low my old 91 454 4x4 got 11 city and 13 highway....
              Check, check, and check. No I haven't been drafting truckers. I really just drive it around town for my handyman work. It is a Crew cab, 4x4, 454, longbed on 285/75/16 (almost 33's) tires. Maybe I should check the plugs out. Make sure the gap is right. The only mods this thing has are the tires, replacement Flowmaster, K&N cold air package.

I am starting my research early. I can't put a dime into this truck until the Ranchero is done and gone. Just trying to plan ahead.
              Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Lowering it is going to be the most effective thing at increasing the gas mileage. It'll decrease the frontal area and therfore the drag. An airdam is going to have to be fairly close to the ground to really be usefull as otherwise the air is just going to spill under the truck as the path of least resistance.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

choo choo customs air dam
                  checy sold 1.5 million trucks in 97 - they were doing something right

Comment

Driving around town in a heavy vehicle, most of the fuel waste is accelerating and then stopping and having to get moving again.

Driving technique is probably going to be the most effective thing to change. Every time you use the brakes, you're wasting gas....think about it. (but don't run into anyone)
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                      Driving around town in a heavy vehicle, most of the fuel waste is accelerating and then stopping and having to get moving again.

Driving technique is probably going to be the most effective thing to change. Every time you use the brakes, you're wasting gas....think about it. (but don't run into anyone)
                      Ya, I try to coast to a stop whenever possible. I let off the throttle way in advance of a light. Easy to do here since everything is flat.
                      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Try taking off the cold air package and see if that helps

Watch your speed, accelerate moderately but let it shift early (low rpm with more throttle opening is more efficient)
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

Jim nailed it once again.

the fact that we are even talking about fuel "economy" in the same sentence as 454 dually 4x4 crew cab, is, well, pretty ironic!

Tune up, a tight torque converter, properly inflated stock size tires - skinnier is better, the best highway truck tire I've seen is the michelin ltx, or the old goodyear wrangler HT if you can still get them.... wide off road tires are the single easiest way to decrease fuel economy on a pickup, proper alignment - make sure the e-brake is not dragging and rear drums are properly adjusted.

a cap that is flush with the top of the cab would help if you need one anyway, but - not much help around town.

Likely the best thing you can do is go back to the stock size tire in a highway tread design.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

there was recall for loose intake plenum bolts in 97 on the 454

Comment

Working...
                            X