Bodyguys in here? Checking on paint/clear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodyguys in here? Checking on paint/clear

OK...so the time has come, I am rusty as hell on paint lines, all the changes since I last shot a complete some 10+ years ago.

I have shot mainly Dupont and some Sikkens...but what is out there in the medium to higher end lines, what are you using, and how does the clear coat that you use flow out?

I know alot of variables, booth, equipment, etc, but I am taking my GTS into a shop, no "behind the house in a two car garage" paint job this time...it's going to a small shop, with a side draft booth, and a guy with 17 different Awiata guns.

I am planning something with a factory Ford yellow color, and one other on the Torino, I know yellow anymore you probably have to do 3-5 coats for coverage, but what about sealers?

I am thinking a white sealer, instead of a tinted, even though I am going to have more color to spray. I just want a neutral base to start with.

Looking at 4-5 coats of clear. I want to be able to wet sand the car through the ages...
    Just checking to see who is using what...and what to stay away from.
    Back ground on my car, I have shot DTM epoxy from Keystone. I plan on sticking with one paint system sealer to clear.

Andy
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: Bodyguys in here? Checking on paint/clear

I'd be asking your painter......he knows what works for him.....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

the guy at the auto body supply was helpful after spending 1500 or so ......

Comment

A topic about which I actually know something!

My preference (I use PPG products)

- DP primer (color determined by the color coat), thinned 10% w/lacquer thinner as a sealer - best I've ever found

- Base coat to hiding, usually 2 coats. You don't want more product than necessary as it leads to chipping. Dry spray the color coat as it may wrinkle with wet coats and doesn't need a sheen anyway. This is my typical screw-up.

- The best clearcoat you can afford applied in one fairly dry coat and subsequent wet coats per manufacturer recommendations. Again, don't get carried away or it'll chip - not too much film thickness. The difference between cheap clearcoat and the good stuff is UV resistance.

- I usually block sand and buff in a month or so (I don't have an oven) and get excellent results.

As stated, more than all this, go with what your painter suggests. He is the guy who has to stand behind his work and knows what has worked for him. Don't worry about future rub outs - clear is tough as nails and it's hard to hurt it with a buffer if you exercise any care at all (stay away from edges, etc.).

Good Luck
        Dan

Comment

I wouldn't be looking to the paint store for reccommendations, they are just there to sell whatever they sell, whether-or-not they know anything. Guys who produce finished paint jobs are where to go, Dans advice is good stuff.

Comment

it was a really good body supply - all the counter guys had ppg certs
            but auto zone sells bondo ....

Comment

i learnd with dupont love it
              use nason {dupont's chap line} seen no difference
              used ppg whn i workd at body shop not usd to it so i did not like it
              use martin seinor good
              valspar good love th clear

are you spraying it?
              ask th paintor what he uses

when we painted our 68 camaro i bought dupont chroma base base clear
              talkd to duponts factory rep for what to use as th strip color is flip flop and cost $400 pint

my budy who paints all the time sprayed it in his booth for me and told me to take the claer that th rp told me to get back and buy nason he likes it and ity cost half as much no one beleives me it is nason "cheap" clear on the car

i think alot is to do with the prson painting it
              good luck

Comment

I've had good luck w/DuPont and Nason, too. While I was in Ann Arbor the DuPont dealer also had PPG and they dropped DuPont, so I wound up switching and both systems have worked well for me.

I'll disagree a bit with Loren. In my experience the paint shop guys have been good as gold but I usually have enough experience with the shop to know which counter person to trust. Don't be mislead by gender - some of the women are EXCELLENT and some of the guys are idiots. But I have the advantage of a track record with the shops (Painter's Supply in A2, Tucker here in Wilmington) so I know who to pump for info. So Loren has a point, if you don't have that track record.

But in your case, trust the painter.

Have fun
                Dan

Comment

gender ? wtf does that have to do with price of peas ?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                      Is that a project picture of the Nova? ;)

Comment

I mention that because I've seen guys wait for a less knowledgeable guy to ask a question to while a more knowledgeable woman is standing right there with the answer. Too many people make assumptions......

Dan

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                        gender ? wtf does that have to do with price of peas ?

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                          I'd be asking your painter......he knows what works for him.....

definately. my own personal combo would surprise more than a few...unconventional.
                          If urethane is a known brand and 2 part, variable with different mixes (2:1, 4:1 etc) , as a regular noob, I'd ask about this. To me clearcoat does anyhting..if you have the stuff that does anything, it needs questions. My #1 disappointment. I recently asked about psi of 2 part urethane and automobiles. Why don't they sell it as psi of urethane on automobiles? A good mix to me is immediate win, and days of slow clock revealing our human surface errors. no fake drueling nurture the pansy assed clear coat. there be an error, there be an error...because of real psi. This goes with preservation of sheet metal. I would go as far as extremne urethane, let the errors show, then, go at it again, if it means urethane as the bottom coat
                          no such thing as good sheet steel

oh, for base coat, dupont nason. very nice, if you have a specialty oe color you seek.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                          X