Oil leak issue-400 Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak issue-400 Ford

I have been trying to pinpoint an oil leak issue...and am out of ideas.

My '79 F150 4x4 has a 400 V8, nothing special, stock type rebuild with around 70k.
    I was dealing with a powersteering hose that I replaced. I powerwashed the underside of the truck after the hose blew out a few months back.
    Now, ever since I did my last oil change this thing leaks oil. and I am talking like it seems like a rear main seal it out.

In looking, the oil appears to be coming off the filter. I swapped filters two weeks ago, thinking that cured it, maybe a bad seal. I cleaned the block off, the oring was not stuck to the block, I oiled the seal slightly as how I have always done, and this thing is leaking bad. it I sit at idle in the driveway, nothing, no running dripping oil.

The Mechanical fuel pump is dripping in oil.
    The entire driver's side is covered in oil spray from driving.
    Checked the factory oil cooler, solid, not leaking.
    Check valve covers, little to no leaks, nothing that indicates it coming from up top.

I have noticed on random occasions if I step into it, after driving the truck for a total of 4 hours, it would randomly smoke as oil was hitting the exhause and throwing a light cloud. Same around town. Not all the time, but ti's a random deal.

Short of pulling the engine, I am a bit lost.

The oil pump from the rebuild paperwork I have is a standard, oil pressure is what I call normal for this truck, same as it has been for 20 years since I started driving it as a teenager.

I looked at the NPT fitting in the oil port above the filter, not leaking there.

I am not spinning it hard, I'd be surprised if it ever saw 4k rpm.

Could there be some possible chance I am getitng a freak spike in the filter and it's spraying out of the seal?
    I am only running motorcraft filters, always have.

I looked at the front of the pan, the seal has minor leakage, but it's pretty much dry there. Pan rails are a little wet, but I thinking because of the oil coming off the filter?

Just need some help here.

Thanks
    Andy
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: Oil leak issue-400 Ford

Could a plugged up or otherwise sometimes non-functional crankcase ventilation and PCV system cause this? Builds up excessive pressure, then oil gets forced past some of the gaskets?

cheers
    Ed N.
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

new filter only costs a few bucks, give that a try first....

And did you put the oil cap back on the engine?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I thought all Ford's 400's leaked something. If not, they smoked. The '70's weren't kind to Ford's engine dept.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
          I thought all Ford's 400's leaked something. If not, they smoked. The '70's weren't kind to Ford's engine dept.
          My 77 F250 with a 400 and 4spd went through more oil then gas. That was after two complete gasket kits in a year also, just a bad deal :-\

Comment

Of all the stupid things. I was noticing old blue was having some surging issues...figured, maybe the fuel pump was going on it. Pump was not even two years old. > : Come to find out, there is a weephole on the pump, and it the diaphram is starting to fail, it will pump out oil. In my case, all over my brand new exhaust.
            I took a wide sweeping right turn on the intown interstate this weekend, and suddenly I thought someling let loose...just turned out to be the fuel pump was going.
            I got what I paid for, a cheap parts store unit. Despite better thinking, I stuck another pump on, and runs alot better now. No leaks. Lights the tires...ah, um, MUCH better now.
            Andrew
            1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
            2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

well, consider yourself lucky - it was a cheap easy fix, better than if the fuel pump decided to start pumping gasoline into the crankcase - and chew up your bearings.

I rebuilt an engine once that I was convinced was burning oil..... turns out the mechanical fuel pump was doing just as you describe.... but it was all hitting the exhaust and burning - absolutely no sign of oil leakage anywhere.... I'll never make that mistake again!
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
              X